Ajinkya Rahane’s Test Future – Sehwag on Rahane’s Future: Not so long ago, Ajinkya Rahane was the toast of nation as he led India to one of the greatest victories on tour of Australia. But the series vs England has damaged Rahane’s reputation so badly that the likes of VVS Laxman & others have announced curtains to Rahane’s career. According to former Indian opener Virender Sehwag, despite of just 109 runs in 7 innings in England, ‘Rahane should be given 1 last chance & if he still doesn’t score – bid goodbye to him’.
“Everyone goes through a bad phase. The question is how you behave with your player in a bad phase, whether you back him or leave him. According to me, Ajinkya Rahane should get a chance when the next series happens in India. If he doesn’t perform there, you can say – thank you very much for your contribution,” the former India opener pointed out.
Ajinkya Rahane’s Test Future: Sehwag says, ‘Give last chance, if he still doesn’t score say thank you for your contribution’
Ajinkya Rahane’s Test Future – Sehwag on Rahane’s Future: Why Rahane’s test futue has become questionable? Rahane not only scored runs but looked completely out of place and out of sorts with his technique in England. Such was the flop show by Rahane that he even struggle most of the time putting bat to the ball or judging the ball correctly.
- Rahane scored just 109 runs from seven innings in the ongoing Test series against England and has even lost his No. 5 spot Ravindra Jadeja in both the innings of the 4th Test at the Oval.
- Rahane’s batting average falls below 40 for the first time since late 2015 vs SA. This poor form has happened after 57 Tests now.
- In the last 15 Test innings, Rahane has amassed just 285 runs from the bat. He has averaged just 19 and scored 30 plus on just three occasions.
- 20 innings without a Test hundred, since that magnificent 112 in the Boxing Day Test at the MCG.
- Last 10 Test Innings: 27, 49, 15, 5, 1, 61, 18, 10, 14, 0
Despite of this by the day fall in form, Sehwag feels Rahane deserves one LAST-CHANCE.
“I feel when your overseas tour goes bad, you should get a chance in India as well because this comes once in four years but you will play a series in India every year. If the series goes bad in India, then I will understand that the form which was bad overseas is there here as well, then he deserves it now,” Sehwag had said on the Sony Sports Network.
“I have seen many great players who have not done anything for 8 or 9 Tests, not even a fifty and they still were persisted with, and the result was that they performed going ahead and scored 1200-1500 runs in a year in Test cricket.”
Ajinkya Rahane’s Test Future – Sehwag on Rahane’s Future: India will host New Zealand for two Tests later this year in November-December and Sehwag reckons that if Rahane – who only plays Test cricket for India – is unable to perform there as well, it might well be curtains for him.