Australian Open 2021: Top Tennis stars regret, ‘coming to Australia for Aus Open’

Australian Open 2021 – Players very upset with Quarantine Norms: With strict quarantine rules ahead of the corona-affected Australian Open 2021, set to begin on February 8, tennis stars have come forward to express their anger over the quarantine norms, quality of food and other related issues. On the other hand local authorities have warned Hotel-bound players they could have a police officer outside their room or face fines if found to be “persistently breaching” strict two-week quarantine rules ahead of the Australian Open.

– Initially the plan was for competitors to be allowed out for five hours a day to train but that quickly changed after four passengers from two planes also carrying the players tested positive.

– Multiple tennis stars complained of bad quality of food being provided. World No. 15 Carreno Busta from Spain shared a picture of salad, an apple and juice cup alongside the caption ‘really?’.

– Meanwhile world No.28 Benoit Paire from France opted against the quarantine meals entirely, and had McDonald’s delivered to his room.

Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley has confirmed the year’s first Grand Slam will go ahead from Feb. 8 despite anger from players forced into hard quarantine in Melbourne due to positive COVID-19 cases on their charter planes.

“The Australian Open is going ahead and we will continue to do the best we possibly can do to ensure those players have the best opportunity.”

“We are reviewing the schedule leading in to see what we can do to assist these players,” Tiley told the Nine Network on Sunday.

Quarantine authorities said they had recorded a fourth COVID-19 infection among the passengers on the two charter flights carrying players to Melbourne. The latest case was a member of broadcast team who was among 67 passengers that travelled on the chartered flight from Los Angeles.

An aircrew member and a passenger had already been confirmed as testing positive, along with a tennis coach who was on a separate chartered plane from Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates.

The cases have forced 47 players to be confined to their hotel rooms for two weeks, when they will be unable to train, and Cassar insisted they could be hit with fines if they do not adhere to the rules.

“We take all breaches really seriously,” she said.

“For the players that is a fine of up to $20,000 (£14,718/€16,557), a warning from the police, but what we have also considered today is for those who are persistently breaching or not willing to remain in their rooms, our other option would be to transfer people to the complex care hotel where there is a member Victoria Police outside the door.”