Chennai Super Kings put up a record breaking show against KingsXI Punjab. CSK openers Faf du Plessis and Shane Watson put up an record breaking partnership against Kings XI Punjab on Sunday to put the side’s campaign back on track.
Watson smashed unbeaten 83 off 53 balls, while Du Plessis scored unbeaten 87 off 53 balls, to help CSK register a thumping 10-wickets win over Punjab, who set a 179-runs target after they opted to bat first.
Overall, the two batsmen hit 26 boundaries between them as CSK registered its first victory in four matches to revive its season.
In the process, Shane Watson and Faf Du Plessis recorded highest ever partnership for Chennai Super Kings in IPL history. It is also the ninth-highest stand in the IPL for any wicket. Interestingly, it is also the second-highest chase in the IPL history without losing a wicket.
“We did the small things right. Believed in the process. We were looking for the kind of start today. That’s where experience counts hopefully we can replicate this in the coming days,” he said.
“It’s not about being more aggressive. Watson was looking good in the nets. But what you want is to replicate that. It was just a matter of time that he gets going. Faf is like a sheet anchor for us. He can always confuse the bowlers with shots like the lap shot. They compliment each other well.”, said Dhoni.
PL 2020 : Watson-Du Plessis Highest opening partnerships for CSK in IPL:
- 181*S Watson – F du Plessis v KXIP Dubai 2020
- 159 M Hussey – M Vijay v RCB Chennai 2011
- 139*M Hussey – M Vijay v KXIP Mohali 2013
- 134 S Watson – A Rayudu v SRH Pune 2018
Also, both the batsmen provided the side with the best PowerPlay start in the ongoing season as they scored 60 runs in the opening six overs, bettering the previous record of 53/0 set by Watson and Murali Vijay against Rajasthan Royals.
IPL 2020 : Watson and Faf register these feats during their unbeaten partnership:
- Shane Watson registered his 20th career IPL fifty. Watson scored his sixth fifty for CSK in the tournament.
- The former Australian all-rounder went past the 400-run mark against KXIP and also registered his third fifty against the Punjab-based franchise.
- Faf du Plessis went past the 2,100-run mark in the IPL.
- The South African scored his 15th career IPL fifty.
- It was also his 13th fifty for CSK.
Meanwhile, the victory saw CSK move to sixth position, while KXIP slipped to the bottom place in the points table.
IPL 2020 Points Table
|Royal Challengers Bangalore||4||3||1||0||0||6||-0.954|
|Kolkata Knight Riders||4||2||2||0||0||4||-0.121|
|Chennai Super Kings||5||2||3||0||0||4||-0.342|