England Cricket Racism Row: England & Wales Cricket Board (ECB) is rocked by new Twitter storm as another racist tweet by an unnamed England player is exposed after Ollie Robinson was suspended from international cricket for historic posts
According to the reports in English media, ECB is investigating a second England player posted historical “offensive material a day after Robinson was suspended for the same offense. Wisden said it uncovered a tweet containing a racist term but had “obscured” the identity of the player, who was under 16 when it was posted.
England Cricket Racism Row: The ECB also confirmed that such a social media post had been brought to their attention.
In a statement, the ECB said the social media post had been “brought to our attention” and the governing body would make further comment “in due course”.
The incident is likely to increase pressure on the ECB to examine the social media history of players in the England set-up. According to few reports, that all current England players’ Twitter feeds and Instagram accounts are now being monitored.
England Cricket Racism Row: PM Boris Johnson not too pleased as ECB suspended Robinson on Sunday for the same offense
On Sunday, the ECB suspended 27-year-old Robinson from international cricket pending an investigation into tweets posted in 2012 and 2013.
He was dropped from the squad for the second Test against New Zealand, which begins on Thursday at Edgbaston, and left the England camp to return to his county, Sussex.
On Monday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson backed comments made by the Culture Secretary that the ‘ECB went over the top’ in suspending Robinson for decade-old posts.
England Cricket Racism Row: On the other hand former England captain Michael Vaughan disagreed, saying the ECB “dealt with it correctly”.
“They had to act,” Vaughan said on the Tuffers and Vaughan podcast.
For more sports news and Cricket updates, follow us at insidesport.co