FIFA imposes transfer ban on Kerala Blasters and SC East Bengal —All you need to know

FIFA imposes transfer ban on Kerala Blasters and SC East Bengal —All you need to know
FIFA imposes transfer ban on Kerala Blasters and SC East Bengal —All you need to know

FIFA imposes transfer ban on Kerala Blasters and SC East Bengal —All you need to know – The world football governing body FIFA on Monday issued a letter banning Indian Super League (ISL) teams SC East Bengal and Kerala Blasters from signing any new players in the upcoming transfer window that starts from June 9. The letter from FIFA’s Player Status Committee was drafted on June 1 which All India Football Federation forwarded on June 7. 

ALSO READ: FIFA World Cup qualifiers: Sunil Chhetri says, ‘I don’t count goals’ (insidesport.co)

Why are SC East Bengal and Kerala Blasters banned? 

Slovenian footballer Matej Poplatnik, who played for Kerala Blasters in the 2018-19 season and Costa Rican World Cupper Johnny Acosta, who played for East Bengal filed a formal complaint against the clubs with FIFA. Both the player complaint against unpaid salary. Players can approach FIFA if they aren’t paid their wages on time and the global body is expected to intervene to get the issue resolved.

Also Read: Sunil Chhetri working, scoring goals as if he’s 25: Stimac

What can SC East Bengal and Kerala Blasters do to lift the ban? 

As soon as the unpaid salaries of Johnny Acosta and Matej Poplatnik are paid the ban will be lifted. After that, the sides will be allowed to sign new players. According to Goal, Kerala has already initiated steps to resolve the issue and the ban is expected to be lifted once they receive a  from FIFA after the confirmation of payment remittance. 

Also read: FIFA World Cup Qualifiers – India beat Bangladesh 2-0: Sunil Chhetri brace hands India 2-0 win against Bangladesh

On the other hand, East Bengal is in deep trouble as they similar cases with Abhishek Ambekar, Eugeneson Lyngdoh and CK Vineeth. All these cases are also pending. Spaniard Jaime Colado and support staff, who played during Quess East Bengal days, had also gone to Fifa’s dispute resolution chamber (DRC) regarding salary payment. 

East Bengal top official Debabrata Sarkar said they have received the letter and are taking “immediate steps”.

“Shree Cement has communicated this through a letter. It’s true. We are taking immediate action,” Sarkar said, reacting to the transfer ban.

Blaming their former investor Quess Corporation for this, Sarkar said: “This is a fallout of the one-sided termination by Quess Corp Ltd. Now we are made to pay the price for their wrongdoing. We are very much worried about the club’s future.”

Acosta, who finally left Kolkata in June last year, had hit out at the club for being “apathetic to his situation”.

“I close a cycle of my life, this time a little different. In a great institution to which I have a lot of love and respect, Quess East Bengal FC, but that in the end there were contract and salary issues that failed to comply, in addition to little help for my return to Costa Rica where the club showed little disposition and apathetic to my situation,” he had posted.

Also read: FIFA World Cup Qualifiers: Sunil Chhetri overtakes Lionel Messi; now chasing Cristiano Ronaldo for most international goals

For more sports news and ISL updates, follow us at insidesport.co

Advertisement