United States of America, Canada and Mexico will jointly host the FIFA World Cup in 2026.
The joint bid by the North American nations beats rival Morocco overwhelmingly at the FIFA Congress, which voted to decide the hosts for the FIFA World Cup 2026.
The “United Bid” secured 67% of the 202 votes. The defeated Moroccan bid garnered 67 votes as against a strong 134-member support for the US, Mexican and Canadian joint bid. One nation abstained during the bid process, while the four candidates in the fray – the USA, Mexico, Canada and Morocco – did not have a vote.
Follow the updates of the 68th FIFA Congress 2018 since morning in case you have missed the action
The FIFA Congress is in Moscow for its 68th gathering. The Member Associations from across the globe congregate to vote and decide on who gets the rights to hosts the FIFA World Cup 2026.
FIFA will stream the procedure live on FIFA.com and the FIFA TV YouTube channel. The Congress meeting in Moscow starts at 11.30 am India time.
With the 68th FIFA Congress 2018 set in a while at Moscow’s Expocentre, the football fans and fraternity across the globe will be able to follow the entire event live. The streaming video on FIFA.com and on the FIFA TV YouTube channel is available from 11.30 am IST (9 am Moscow time. FIFA has stated in an official release.
Click here for the complete Congress agenda.
Even as Changes to the FIFA Statutes will also be voted on along with the approval for the budgetary cycle running from 2019-2022, the vote for the designation of the 2026 FIFA World Cup hosts, between the Moroccan Football Association and the joint bid by the Canadian Soccer Association, the Mexican Football Association and the United States Soccer Federation will be the main attraction.
FIFA will also live stream the post-Congress media conference.
The vote to choose the host for the 2026 FIFA World Cup is the 13th item on the agenda.
Live Updates (IST):
- 16:22 pm – The United bid wins – Canada, Mexico and United States wins the right to jointly host the FIFA World Cup 2026
- 16:20 pm – The voting starts – 203 member nations are eligible to vote.
- 16:13 pm – North American bid has a revenue prediction of £14.3 billion while Morocco has forecast $7.2 billion.
- 16:11 pm – Morocco bid presentation ends. FIFA Secretary General Fatma Samourah takes over to outline the bid procedure before the voting.
- 15:53 pm – United bid presentation ends. Morocco bid presentation begins
- 15:38 pm – 15 minute time for United bid presentation begins.
- 15:30 pm – Infantino outlines the 2026 procedure.- He tells us that the winner out of Morocco and Canada/United States/Mexico will not affect how many slots there are for the World Cup or the qualifying system. He also calls for voters to choose “in the best interests of FIFA, the best interests of world football”.
- 14:45 pm – Agenda for amendments to FIFA statutes under discussion followed by the voting procedure for the acceptance of the same
- 14:40 pm – FIFA Congress resumes after the break
- 13:59 pm – The proceedings will resume after a 30 minutes break
- 13:55 pm – Putin concludes his address – He applauded the efforts of FIFA and, in particular, Infantino for his “principles and justice” and “positive approach towards our country”. He adds that Infantino presides over “very difficult times” in FIFA, but adds that he is “very good” for Russia.
- 13:47 pm – Russian President Vladimir Putin begins his address at the congress.
- 13:32 pm – PwC providing their auditing and compliance report. They praise the FIFA governance report, a “great improvement in terms of clarity”, and hail the way development money is being distributed.
- 13:30 pm – FIFA Congress approves budget – 203 votes cast and 202 votes in favour.
- 13:25 pm – “FIFA has never had higher reserves and revenues than it does now,” claims Gianni Infantino.