“It was an electric atmosphere. I want to thank my coach and my physio, everyone who has been with me on this journey,” Djokovic said as quoted by BBC.
“I have played almost nine hours over the last 48 hours against two great champions, it was really tough physically over the last three days, but I trusted in my capabilities and knew I could do it.”
Last person to win the French Open final after being two sets down: Gastón Gaudio in 2004 when he beat Guillermo Coria. Even Agassi won in #RolandGarros in 1999 after losing the first 2 sets
— Sarang Bhalerao (@bhaleraosarang) June 13, 2021
In the first set, both Djokovic and Tsitsipas went back and forth, and at one stage the scoreline was level at 6-6 and as a result, the first set went into the tie-breaker. It was Tsitsipas who managed to hold his nerve and he ended up winning the first set 7-6.
The 22-year-old Tsitsipas made light work of Djokovic’s challenge in the second set, and he put the Serbian on the backfoot, winning it and if Djokovic had to win the match from here on, he needed to win three back-to-back sets while a win in another set was good enough for Tsitsipas to win the Grand Slam.
Djokovic then staged a comeback in the third set and dropped just three games, winning it 6-3 and as a consequence, the match progressed into the fourth set.
The 34-year-old Serbian took his game to another level and he won the fourth set, and as a result, the match progressed into the fifth and deciding set.
In the fifth and deciding set, Djokovic managed to hold his nerve and composure and in the end, he walked away with a memorable win after being two sets down in the summit clash.
— ATP Tour (@atptour) June 13, 2021
French Open 2021 Finals: 3rd set
6-3 Djokovic finally takes the third set
- 6-2 to Tsitsipas. He is a set away from victory
- 5-2 to Tsitsipas
- 4-2 to Tsitsipas. There is no stopping him on Today.
- 2-3 Djokovic reduces the deficit.
- 3-1 to Tsitsipas. Can he continue his lead over the champion?
- 2-1 Djokovic fights back
- 2-0 Tsitsipas on a roll
- 1-0 to Tsitsipas. The Greek extends his lead over Djokovic.
- 6-6 Tsitsipas rebounds, fixture witnesses tie-breaker in opening set itself
- 6-5 Djokovic breaks, shows who is the Boss
- 5-5 Djokovic saves the set point.
- 5-4 to Tsitsipas. He is a game away from taking the first set in his French Open Final debut.
- 4-4 The pattern continues
- 4-3 to Tsitsipas
- Djokovic takes a nasty blow, survives injury scare
- 3-3 Djokovic levels up again! Red-hot start from both these players.
- 3-2 to Tsitsipas. The 22-year-old continues to frustrate World No.1
- 2-2 Djokovic fights back!
- 2-1 to Tsitsipas back in the lead. The World No.5 is looking good.
- 1-1- Djokovic rebounds straightaway against Tsitsipas
1-0 to Tsitsipas, It’s the Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas who has a dream start to then French Open Final
For more sports news and latest updates, follow us at insidesport.co