ICC WTC Finals – India vs New Zealand: After IPL 2021 was postponed due to rising COVID-19 cases inside franchises’ bio-bubbles, few players, selected for Virat Kohli’s Team India that will face New Zealand in the World Test Championship Final are racing against time to be fit. Wriddhiman Saha, India’s backup wicketkeeper and standby pacer Prasidh Krishna both tested positive for the virus after the IPL 2021 was postponed & KL Rahul (just operated for appendicitis) will struggle to meet timelines and guidelines set by BCCI for the tour.
ICC WTC Finals: When is the team leaving for the UK?
– India will leave on June 2nd for the UK to play in the ICC WTC Final from June 18-22.
– Everyone traveling from India is required to serve a mandatory 14-day quarantine in the UK.
– BCCI has instructed all team members to be in BIO-BUBBLE by May 23rd. All England bound members will spend 8 days in Bio-Bubble before being allowed to board the chartered flight for England.
– To reduce the quarantine period in the UK, BCCI has managed to negotiate a reduction in the duration, promising to create a mini bio-bubble in India before boarding the flight. Instead of spending 14-day in hard quarantine in the UK, Team India will now spend 8 days in a bio-bubble in India. Players will be required to enter the bio-bubble by May 23 in India.
– Virat Kohli’s Team India will need to spend at least 10 days in quarantine in the UK after BCCI managed to reduce the duration through negotiation and creating its own bubble. Once they reach England in June 3, they will be in quarantine till June 13-14th.
ICC WTC Finals: Why Saha, Prasidh Krishna and KL Rahul will struggle to meet these timelines?
Prasidh Krishna and Wriddhiman Saha will have to recover from COVID-19 by May 23. By this time they will also be required to produce two negative RT-PRC they will also need to produce two negative RT-PCR tests in order to be eligible for entry in Team India’s Bio-Bubble.
While it usually takes 10-14 days to recover from the disease, in some cases, it can take longer.
Wriddhiman Saha tested positive while he was with Sunrisers Hyderabad. Prasidh Krishna tested positive after returning home in Bengaluru. It means that both players have 21 days to recover, test negative twice. Once they test negative, they will also be asked to pass BCCI’s mandatory cardio exam and also pass the team’s fitness test.
“Saha, Krishna or Rahul, they all need to prove their fitness, pass Covid-19 tests before they are allowed to enter BIO-BUBBLE. ” a BCCI source told the platform.
Similarly, KL Rahul is also racing against time. The India limited-overs opener had to be hospitalised for acute appendicitis and needed surgery while he was with Punjab Kings in the IPL 2021. The recovery usually takes 10-14 days. He too will be fighting against time to be fit to join BCCI’s bio-bubble.
Team India’s Squad for WTC Finals & 5 Match Test Series vs England
India’s squad: Rohit Sharma, Shubman Gill, Mayank Agarwal, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli (Captain), Ajinkya Rahane (vice-captain), Hanuma Vihari, Rishabh Pant (wicket-keeper) R. Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Washington Sundar, Jasprit Bumrah, Ishant Sharma, Mohd. Shami, Md. Siraj, Shardul Thakur, Umesh Yadav, KL Rahul (subject to fitness clearance), Wriddhiman Saha (wicket-keeper; subject to fitness clearance).
Standby players: Abhimanyu Easwaran, Prasidh Krishna, Avesh Khan, Arzan Nagwaswalla
Team India’s first stop will be in Southampton where they play New Zealand to decide the first champion of the Test format. Following their 3-1 win against England at home, India finished as the No. 1 side with 72.2 percentage points and booked their place in the final.
|India’s tour of England, 2021-22|
|A||18th – 22nd June||WTC Final vs NZ||Southampton|
|1||4th – 8th August||1st Test vs England||Nottingham|
|2||12th – 16th August||2nd Test vs England||London (Lord’s)|
|3||25th – 29th August||3rd Test vs England||Leeds|
|4||2nd – 6th September||4th Test vs England||London (Oval)|
|5||10th – 14th September||5th Test vs England||Manchester|