IND vs ENG 4th Test: Joe Root not satisfied with 3 back-to-back centuries, wants to score another ton at Oval: 109, 180*, 121- not any helpline numbers, these are England skipper Joe Root’s bizarre scores in the first three Tests against India. Needless to say, Root is breathing fire in the ongoing Test series. Even after three back-to-back hundreds in the first three contests, Root’s hunger is still unsatiated. The appetite for more runs and yet another hundred was evident from Root’s statement after England’s series-leveling victory at Headingley Test.
“As a batter you are expected to go out and score everytime and I am happy I’ve managed to score a few. It’s been a while since I got a hundred in my home ground and I hope we can carry this form forward as a team into the Oval,” said Joe Root during the post-match presentation.
On all occasions and especially in the current red-ball series against India, he has stood tall for the Three Lions and has been pivotal in solely governing the hosts’ batting lineup. So far in his five outings, he has amassed 507 runs and returned with an economy of 126.75. During the same, he has smashed three hundred and one fifty.
Joe Root’s overall Test record at Oval
- Matches- 7
- Runs- 592
- Average- 49.33
- Hundreds- 2
Fairly, on Joe Root’s past records at Oval and especially his record playing against India at the venue give reasons of the batting great to come up with yet another to in the series.
Joe Root’s Test record against India at Oval
- Tests- 2
- Runs- 274
- Average- 137
- Best- 149*
In fact, Joe Root’s career’s both the hundreds at Oval have come up against India. Coming in the sublime form, the 30-year old would continue to continue his hundred’s spree against India at the venue in the upcoming fourth Test.
IND vs ENG 4th Test: Joe Root
Joe Root tumbled the following records with his ton in third Test at Headingley, Leeds
- Joe Root became the first batsman to score more than 1,350 runs in a calendar year in Tests thrice.
- He has entered the list of most runs against India in Tests (2247*). Root currently stands fourth in the list which is currently topped by Ricky Ponting having 2555 Test runs against India.
- He has become the sixth batsman to hit 4 Test Centuries against India in a Calendar Year.
- Root has become the seventh player to score hundreds in 1st, 2nd and 3rd match of a Test series against India.
- Root holds the record of most Test hundreds against India-8, equaling Steve Smith, Viv Richards and Gary Sobers.
- Root has become the England captain to hit most Test 100s. With now 12 in this record, he equals Alastair Cook.
- Root has hit most Test centuries in a calendar year for England- 6, equalling his record with Denis Compton and Michael Vaughan.
IND vs ENG 4th Test: Joe Root
Sir Geoffrey Boycott says Joe Root is having a purple patch
Former England player Sir Geoffrey Boycott heaped praises for England skipper Joe Root and mentioned that the latter is stoic to failures.
“When you are playing like Joe you don’t think about failure. Trust me, when everything is going swimmingly you get to 20 and you think ‘hundred’. When playing poorly you can’t even make 20. Joe is in that lovely purple patch when he thinks he can make a century every time he bats so keep it going, please,” Geoffrey Boycott said.
For all updates on cricket and other sports, follow insidesport.co