IND vs ENG 5th Test postponed: When can BCCI & ECB reschedule ‘cancelled’ 5th Test? – After both ECB and BCCI confirmed that the 5th Test at Old Trafford had to be cancelled following the COVID-19 outbreak in the India camp, the Indian board has offered to reschedule the match and finish the series at a later date. Now, the question is when can the two parties find a suitable date with a pact calendar?
The match was cancelled after Yogesh Parmar, India’s assistant physio tested positive for Covid, five days after head coach Ravi Shastri, bowling coach Bharat Arun and fielding coach R Sridhar contracted the virus.
IND vs ENG 5th Test postponed: While the ECB wanted the match to be forfeited and demanded BCCI to pay for the losses that amount to ₹304 crore ($30 million), the Indian board offered to reschedule the match at a later date, most probably in 2022 within the same World Test Championship cycle (2021-23).
IND vs ENG 5th Test postponed: BCCI & ECB begin search for possible window to reschedule ‘cancelled’ Manchester Test
IND vs ENG 5th Test postponed: When can the match be played?
Here comes the million-dollar question, when can the match be played? ECB has already announced the calendar for 2022. It begins with Ashes and ends with the South Africa series at home in September.
In between India will play a limited-overs series in England between July 1 and 14 but in such a short duration, scheduling the Test will not be possible. The main reason behind that is New Zealand series that ends on June 27 and South Africa series that begins on July 14. The only possible window for them is to curtail the limited-overs series to accommodate the 5th Test.
IND vs ENG 5th Test postponed: As for India, the BCCI hasn’t yet announced the full calendar but it will begin with the South Africa tour in January, followed by IPL 2022, then the England series and a potential West Indies tour. Hence, planning a 5-day Test match is a hurdle.
IND vs ENG 5th Test postponed: Why it is difficult to find a window?
- England will have a pact calendar from January to September.
- One option is to schedule the 5th Test during India’s tour for the limited-overs series in July 2022.
- But for the Test match, India will need to carry a different squad for Test and for the three ODIs and as many T20Is.
- It also must have ICC’s approval as the Test is part of the WTC 2021-23 cycle.
- ECB has already announced fixtures for New Zealand and South Africa series and has begun planning. Hence, it will be difficult to rejig both fixtures to accommodate the 5th Test.
- ECB will not be able to host the 5th Test in place of the ODI series as it is part of the 2023 World Cup Super League.
- T20Is between India and England attract a large number of viewers. Hence, ECB may not agree to host the Test in place of the 3 T20Is.
BCCI & ECB begin search for possible window to reschedule ‘cancelled’ Manchester Test
IND vs ENG 5th Test postponed: England’s 2022 fixtures:
Ashes 2021-22 (A): December 8 to January 18
West Indies Tour (A): January 29 to March 28
IPL 2022: April-May
New Zealand series (H): June 2 to June 27
India series (H, limited-overs): July 1 to July 14
South Africa series (H): July 19 to September 12
- The Indian team’s support staff had to undergo coronavirus testing after assistant physiotherapist Yogesh Parmar tested positive ahead of the 5th Test.
- Earlier, head physio Nitin Patel, who is currently in isolation, tested positive along with head coach Ravi Shastri and bowling coach Bharath Arun in London
- Reports stated that Indian players were not keen to play the fifth Test, with many travelling to the UK with their families.
- With the IPL 2021 set to take place from September 19, there was further scepticism from the Indian camp.
- BCCI and ECB have been involved in talks over the past two days, and reports state that the match has been postponed for two days