IND VS ENG: Joe Root continues to be India’s biggest headache, slams another 100: It won’t be an exaggeration to say that England skipper Joe Root has been the root cause of the problem in the ongoing Test series against India. Continuing his sublime form, Root has smashed yet another century in the ongoing third Test against India at Headingley, Leeds. This time his century came in a different fashion where he smashed the hundred in just 125 balls. With this, Root brings his third century of the series and 23rd of his overall Test career.
💯 for Root – “There can be no better feeling – the England captain in the form of his life!” #ENGvIND 🏴 🇮🇳
Congratulations @Root66 on Test match ton 2⃣3⃣
— Sky Sports Cricket (@SkyCricket) August 26, 2021
Best. Player. In. The. World. ❤️
100 on his home ground, in front of a full house 🔥
— England Cricket (@englandcricket) August 26, 2021
What has come to be a cherry on the cake is that the England captain in his home county ground has scored another hundred, his sixth of the year. Moreover, he has tightened the noose for India as he has smashed three successive hundreds in three Tests against Virat Kohli led side.
The right-handed England batsman is in an unstoppable form in the ongoing series against India. Till now, he has amassed 487 runs in the five innings and managed an exceptional average of 162. So far, he has three hundreds and two fifties in the series.
Joe Root equalled the England record for most Test centuries in a calendar year when he compiled his sixth hundred of 2021, against India at Headingley on Thursday.
Only Denis Compton (1947) and Michael Vaughan (2002) have previously scored as many Test hundreds in a calendar year for England.
Root completed his third hundred in as many matches on the second day of the third Test at his Yorkshire home ground when he clipped Ishant Sharma through midwicket for a 12th four in just 124 balls faced.
He was eventually out for 121 when he was bowled by Jasprit Bumrah.
This innings followed his 109 in the rain-marred drawn first Test at Trent Bridge and his 180 not out during India’s 151-run win at Lord’s that put the tourists 1-0 up in the five-match series.
Joe Root enters the following unique achievements with his run score
- Joe Root becomes the first batsman to score more than 1,350 runs in a calendar year in Tests thrice.
- Root has become the player to hit most 50s a captain during England vs India matches in England. Having now smashed six fifties while playing against India in England, he equals MS Dhoni in the unique record.
- He has entered the list of most runs against India in Tests (2247*). Root currently stands fourth in the list which is currently topped by Ricky Ponting having 2555 Test runs against India.
- This was Joe Root’s third-fastest Test match hundred (125 balls). His 118 ball hundred against Australia in 2015 still remains number one.
- He has become the sixth batsman to hit 4 Test Centuries against India in a Calendar Year.
- Root has become the seventh player to score hundreds in 1st, 2nd and 3rd match of a Test series against India.
- Root holds the record of most Test hundreds against India-8, equaling Steve Smith, Viv Richards and Gary Sobers.
- Root has become the England captain to hit most Test 100s. With now 12 in this record, he equals Alastair Cook.
- Root has hit most Test centuries in a calendar year for England- 6, equaling his record with Denis Compton and Michael Vaughan.
IND vs ENG: Joe Root’s stint with the bat in 2021
The 30-year old England player is in some different form with the willow in the ongoing year. In the 21 outings in the whites, he has aggregated 1342 runs and returned with an economy of 70.42. During the same, he has smashed five hundreds and two fifties.
With England yet to play five more Tests in the remaining year, Joe Root’s records can hit his personal all-time high.
IND vs ENG: Joe Root’s Test performance against India
The England skipper Joe Root has some different rivalry with India when it comes to scoring runs. His maximum runs and the best average in Test has glared up only against India.
The senior player has mustered 2276 runs and maintained an economy of 63.22 on the 41 occasions he has appeared for his side against the India.
For all updates on cricket and other sports, follow insidesport.co
(with AFP inputs)