Ind vs Eng Test cancelled: ECB, BCCI forfeit the fifth Test in Manchester- Follow LIVE updates- The fifth Test between India and England at Old Trafford, Manchester was officially called off on Friday just hours before it began following the rise of COVID-19 cases in the Indian camp. The BCCI and the ECB held long discussions for the past two days after Ravi Shastri and Co tested COVID-19 positive, during the fourth Test in London.
ECB released a statement of Friday saying, “Following ongoing conversations with the BCCI, the ECB can confirm that the fifth LV= Insurance Test between England and India Men due to start today at Emirates Old Trafford, will be cancelled.”
“Due to fears of a further increase in the number of COVID cases inside the camp, India are regrettably unable to field a team. We send our sincere apologies to fans and partners for this news, which we know will cause immense disappointment and inconvenience to many.”
Following ongoing conversations with the BCCI, the ECB can confirm that the fifth LV= Insurance Test at Emirates Old Trafford, due to start today, will be cancelled.
— England Cricket (@englandcricket) September 10, 2021
Ind vs Eng Test cancelled: ECB, BCCI forfeit fifth Test in Manchester- Follow LIVE updates
After a thumping win over Joe Root’s England side, Virat Kohli’s men are rearing to take the field in the 5th and final Test of the series. Team India is leading the series 2-1 and will want to end the series on high. A draw will also be enough for Men in Blue to take home the Pataudi Trophy but as we all know this Indian side believes in winning every single game. With overcast conditions and intermittent rain predicted as per UK MET Office, India will be in for a tough test if the weather doesn’t play spoilsport.
Ind vs Eng postponed, Manchester weather report: Rainfall set to play spoilsport on Day 1 at Old Trafford
@12:26 PM IST: Dinesh Karthik reckons that Day 1 of the 5th Test between India and England will be called off due to rainfall. Karthik, who returned to UAE, after a commentary stint with SKY, frequently gave “weatherman” updates via social media, and did so on Friday, suggesting that play is likely to be called off.
— DK (@DineshKarthik) September 10, 2021
NO PLAY TODAY
ok Tata bye bye #ENGvsIND
— DK (@DineshKarthik) September 10, 2021
After three full Test matches, the fifth test at Manchester is likely to be interrupted by rain frequently as the forecast suggests. The forecast predicts a 40% chance of rainfall just an hour before the start of play, while the overcast clouds are there to stay as the teams progress to lunch. The second session is likely to be a washout with 60% rainfall predicted, meaning Day 1 will be a challenging start to the Test match and is likely to be a stop-start affair. The overcast conditions should help the bowlers and batsmen will have to play out of their skins to survive, and the stoppages could make it all the more difficult to survive on this track.
India vs England Live: Rain in the Test series
Rain saved England in the first Test, India were cruising towards victory on Day 5 with just 157 runs to make and 9 wickets in hand. But the entire day’s play was washed out and the match ended in a draw. Apart from the rain has not affected the result of any match throughout the series.
India vs England Live: How is the weather going to be like?
The weather predictions, however, make things complicated. The UK MET Office has predicted intermittent rain and overcast conditions throughout the last Test.
India vs England Live: Day 1 weather prediction: As per UK MET, there is a 50 to 60 % chance of rain in the 2nd session.
Day 2: There is only 10% chance of rain in the 2nd session apart from the overnight rain that could prevent a timely start to Day 2.
Day 3: There is only a 10 per cent of chance throughout day 3 of the last Test. It will be cloudy throughout the day according to UK MET.
India vs England Live: Day 4: Day 4 will be similar to Day 3 as there will be a 10 per cent chance of rain throughout the day and the weather will be overcast.
Day 5: Sun is expected on Day 5 of the Test match, with a 10 per cent chance of rain.
India vs England Live: How does the pitch look at Old Trafford?
In the image, BCCI shared, the pitch of Old Trafford looks dusty with very little grass cover on it. This could also be the reason why England added Jack Leech to their squad ahead of the 5th Test. The pitch is likely to have something for spinners in it.
India vs England Live: “Hello, Old Trafford. Our final stop #ENGvIND, “BCCI wrote in the caption of the photo.
— BCCI (@BCCI) September 8, 2021
India’s Probable Playing XI – IND vs ENG 5th Test
Openers: Rohit Sharma, KL Rahul, No 3: Cheteshwar Pujara, No 4; Virat Kohli, No 5: Hanuma Vihari/Suryakumar Yadav, No 6: Rishabh Pant (WK), No 7: Ravindra Jadeja, No 8: Shardul Thakur, No 9: Mohammed Shami, No 10: Umesh Yadav, No 11: Mohammed Siraj.
India Tour of England – Live Broadcast & Live Streaming: Sony Sports Network will Live broadcast the India Tour of England in the Indian Sub-Continent while SonyLIV will live stream the series.