Indian Premier League (IPL 2020) has taken a huge toll on the Indian cricket team due to travel to Australia. Now just 3 days ahead of team India’s departure for the upcoming tour of Australia, it has been revealed that mystery spinner Varun Chakravarthy has been suffering from a shoulder issue.
The issue does not affect his bowling but he can’t throw the ball from the outfield. This is the reason, Chakravarthy has lost his place in T20I squad for the tour of Australia.
Meanwhile, BCCI named SRH’s yorker specialist T Natarajan as Chakravarthy’s replacement.
“Varun Chakravarthy has been ruled out of the T20I series owing to a shoulder injury. The selectors have named T Natarajan as a replacement,” a statement from BCCI read.
India tour of Australia : What is bothering Varun Chakravarthy ?
The mystery spinner was handed his maiden national call-up for the T20I series against Australia when the selectors announced the squad last month. However, Chakravarthy reportedly cannot throw despite being fit due to a shoulder issue which has ruled him out of the Australia tour now.
As per a report in Indian Express, Chakravarthy is suffering from a labrum tear in his shoulder which does not affect his bowling but can be a problem when it comes to throwing the ball. The report further claims that he has had the tear for a while now and it aggravated during the course of IPL 2020 where he was representing Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR).
The shoulder niggle is the reason why Chakravarthy mostly fielded in the inner circle for KKR in IPL 2020. The selectors had not been informed about his shoulder niggle as the spinner was declared fit in the report submitted by Team India physio Nitin Patel. However, KKR team management informed Patel about Chakravarthy’s injury only after KKR’s IPL campaign came to an end and the squad for the Australia tour was announced.
During the course of IPL, the fitness of all BCCI-contracted players is monitored by the physios of the respective teams who share their reports with the Team India physio and keep them updated with the progress of players in terms of injuries. Team India has already been handed several injury blows ahead of the Australia tour which starts next month.
India tour of Australia : The All-India Senior Selection Committee met on Sunday to pick certain replacements after receiving injury reports and updates from the BCCI Medical Team.
1. Mr Virat Kohli – At the selection committee meeting held on October 26th, 2020, Mr Virat Kohli had informed the BCCI about his plans to return to India after the first Test in Adelaide. The BCCI has granted paternity leave to the Indian captain. He will return after the first Test against Australia in Adelaide.
2. Mr Rohit Sharma – The BCCI Medical Team has been monitoring Rohit Sharma’s fitness and has briefed All-India Senior Selection Committee on the same. In consultation with Mr Sharma, it has been decided to rest him for the ODIs and T20Is in Australia to regain full fitness and he has been included in India’s Test squad for the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.
3. Mr Sanju Samson – The Selection Committee has added Sanju Samson as an additional wicket-keeper to India’s ODI squad.
4. Mr Ishant Sharma – The senior Indian fast bowler has been undergoing his rehab at the National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru. Once he fully recovers and gains sufficient match fitness, he will be added to India’s Test squad.
5. Mr Varun Chakravarthy – The spinner has been ruled out of the T20I series owing to a shoulder injury. The selectors have named T Natarajan as a replacement.
6. Mr Wriddhiman Saha – The senior Indian wicket-keeper sustained injuries to both his hamstrings during his side’s IPL game on 3rd November. A call on his availability will be taken later.
7. Mr Kamlesh Nagarkoti – The young fast bowler will not be able to travel to Australia as he is still working with the medical team on his bowling workload management.
The revised squads are as below:
Team India T20I squad: Virat Kohli (Captain), Shikhar Dhawan, Mayank Agarwal, KL Rahul (vice-captain and wicket-keeper), Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey, Hardik Pandya, Sanju Samson (wicket-keeper), Ravindra Jadeja, Washington Sundar, Yuzvendra Chahal, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohd. Shami, Navdeep Saini, Deepak Chahar, T Natarajan.
Team India ODI squad: Virat Kohli (Captain), Shikhar Dhawan, Shubman Gill, KL Rahul (vice-captain & wicket-keeper), Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey, Hardik Pandya, Mayank Agarwal, Ravindra Jadeja, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohd. Shami, Navdeep Saini, Shardul Thakur, Sanju Samson (wicket-keeper).
Team India Test squad: Virat Kohli (Captain), Rohit Sharma, Mayank Agarwal, Prithvi Shaw, KL Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane (vice-captain), Hanuma Vihari, Shubman Gill, Wriddhiman Saha (wicket-keeper), Rishabh Pant (wicket-keeper), Jasprit Bumrah, Mohd. Shami, Umesh Yadav, Navdeep Saini, Kuldeep Yadav, Ravindra Jadeja, R. Ashwin, Mohd. Siraj.