India tour of Australia : Queensland Government roadblock for India tour, Cricket Australia requests for meeting

The complexities around India tour of Australia is growing by the day. Now it is reported in the Australian media that the Queensland Government is not ready to give any relaxation to the Indian cricket team on any quarantine norms. Not only Virat Kohli and his squad will be quarantine for 14 days but will also not be allowed to train during the period.

According to a report by The Australia, the Queensland government has given following directives for the tour –

– Indian players have to serve a full 14-day quarantine period
– They would not be allowed to train in that period.
– Any positive tests for COVID-19 would see the entire group serve another quarantine period,
– The report claims that Health department sources had told them that there was no chance the cricketers could quarantine in a Brisbane hotel and train at the Allan Border field as planned.

Also Read: India tour of Australia : No Kit Sponsor for Kohli’s team India, matter to be discussed in Apex Council meeting

It is worth noting that this is the reason till date Cricket Australia has not been able to announce the fixed schedule for the series. Now after this new directive, Cricket Australia is now scheduled to meet Queensland Government and health officials on Monday. The parties will attempt to work through an impasse over Australian and Indian players quarantining in Brisbane ahead of what is one of the most important tours on the cricket calendar.

The report further says that Queensland government is in no mood to make any special deals ahead of the election on October 31 and there are concerns no agreement will be reached before that date.

India Tour of Australia : Cricket Australia still confident that all will be sorted

When contacted by The Australian late on Sunday night, Cricket Australia, released a statement from interim CEO Nick Hockley.

“We have been in constant discussions with Queensland government regarding our detailed proposal to quarantine the Indian and Australian men’s squads ahead of the 2020-21 summer of cricket. To date we haven’t received notification of any concerns about our plans which were submitted over a month ago.

“The discussions with the Queensland government have been built on the same quarantine and biosecurity protocols established during the highly successful Australia-New Zealand women’s series in Brisbane.

“This is an extremely detailed and complex plan that places the health and safety of the community, players and staff as paramount.

“We thank the BCCI for their understanding as we work through these complexities and we look forward to hosting a great summer of cricket.

Plans to start the tour in Perth and Adelaide had already been abandoned and it was understood permission to enter Brisbane had been pending for the last three weeks.

“Queensland Heath are pushing back on Cricket Australia,’’ the source said. “They don’t think there is a safe way to allow training while in quarantine, and it is very unlikely approval will be given to any of the arrangements proposed.

“Cricket Australia has been arguing that the players have already been in a bubble in the UAE.

“But Queensland Health’s view is that the bubble has not been as strict as the ones put together for the footballers in Queensland, and there is a risk to the cricketers.

“We are likely to insist on the teams going into full quarantine and then they go play the first Test.’’

The Monday meeting between Cricket Australia & Queensland government officials will now be extremely crucial for the way forward on the tour.