India tour of England: Ashish Nehra picks KL Rahul to open after Mayank Agarwal’s injury – Former India pacer Ashish Nehra has backed KL Rahul to open the innings in the 1st Test after Virat Kohli and Co. were hit with an injury crisis. Mayank Agarwal was ruled out the first Test against England due to concussion protocols, after being hit on the helmet during a training session. With Prithvi Shaw unavailable until the 3rd Test, Team India’s management will have a huge call to make before the start of the series.
India tour of England: Speaking in a virtual media conference, Ashish Nehra has backed KL Rahul to open the batting in the first Test against England after Virat Kohli and Co. were hit by injuries. Rahul has been considered as a middle-order batsman for the tour, but could be pushed to the opener’s slot with Mayank Agarwal out with a concussion. While Cheteshwar Pujara and Hanuma Vihari also available as options, Nehra believes that KL Rahul is a natural fit for the role and should be given the chance.
NEWS 🚨- Mayank Agarwal ruled out of first Test due to concussion.
The 30-year-old is stable and will remain under close medical observation.
— BCCI (@BCCI) August 2, 2021
India tour of England: Ashish Nehra said, “Whoever plays out of Cheteshwar Pujara or Hanuma Vihari, it is a makeshift arrangement. We’ve seen KL Rahul in white-ball cricket and he started his career at the top of the order. I have seen Rahul opening the batting so Why not him before Hanuma Vihari?”
India tour of England: The former India pacer added, “I know the team management view KL Rahul as a middle-order batsman, but in times like these where the hands are tied, my preference would be KL Rahul. Hanuma Vihari is himself a middle-order batsman and Cheteshwar Pujara is also a No.3, and having either at the top is a short term quick fix.”
India tour of England: Virat Kohli and Co.’s batting conundrum
- Shubman Gill was ruled out with injury, and will not play any part in the tour.
- Gill’s replacement, Prithvi Shaw, is yet to travel to the UK and will undergo strict quarantine, making him unavailable for the first two tests.
- Mayank Agarwal, who was set to open the batting with Rohit Sharma, was hit on the helmet and will be ruled out of the first Test due to concession protocols.
- Rohit Sharma is the only opener available in the squad, with Hanuma Vihari, Cheteshwar Pujara, Abhimanyu Easwaran and KL Rahul available as makeshift options.
- Kl Rahul scored a century in the tour game, albeit in the middle order. He scored 149 in the fifth Test batting at the top of the order against England way back in 2018.
India tour of England: TV and Live streaming details
Sony Sports Network will Live broadcast the India Tour of England in the Indian Sub-Continent while SonyLIV will live stream the series – Follow IND vs ENG LIVE Score & Ball by Ball Updates on InsideSport.co