India tour of Sri Lanka: VVS Laxman is all praise for Varun Chakravarthy says, ‘He is an X-factor’ – Former India cricketer VVS Laxman praised mystery spinner Varun Chakravarthy, who made his India debut against Sri Lanka in the first T20I of the three-match series at the R.Premadasa Stadium, Colombo on Sunday. Laxman feels that Varun has the X-factor. The leg-spinner returned with the figures of 1/28 in his debut match.
— BCCI (@BCCI) July 25, 2021
“Firstly, I am glad that Varun Chakravarthy got this opportunity because twice he was already selected, but didn’t pass the fitness test and was not part of the squad. I think there’s a lot of chat about the mystery surrounding his bowling,” Laxman said on Star Sports’ show Game Plan.
Varun had an impressive IPL 2021 phase 1 where he picked seven wickets in seven games for Kolkata Knight Riders. He came into the limelight when he picked 17 wickets in IPL 2020 which was his second IPL season.
Varun Chakravarthy X-factor
“I was talking with the Sunrisers batsmen and they are all impressed with the way and the consistency with which he bowls in different parts and phases of the match. He can bowl with the new ball, he can come and take wickets whenever the captain and the team want to break a partnership – that means he’s got an X-factor,” Laxman added.
His performance in IPL 2020 saw him picked for the T20I team to tour Australia, but it has been a roller coaster ride ever since.
IND vs SL T20: Varun Chakravarthy’s roller-coaster ride after IPL 2020
- Varun Chakravarthy was bought by the Kolkata Knight Riders ahead of the 2020 IPL season, and he picked up 17 wickets in 13 games, including a five-wicket haul against Delhi Capitals.
- He earned a call-up to the Indian team for the tour of Australia but was ruled out due to fitness and injury issues.
- He underwent rehabilitation at the National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru but wasn’t deemed fit enough for selection for the T20Is against England
- He returned for Kolkata Knight Riders in IPL 2021, picking up seven wickets in as many games.
- The IPL 2021 was then suspended with Chakravarthy among the people to test positive for Covid-19.
- He was picked up for the tour of Sri Lanka but did not feature in a single ODIs.
- Makes his international debut in the first T20I against Sri Lanka
Varun Chakravarthy X-factor
“We just want him to get exposure to international cricket and the only way he can do that is by making him play. So, I’m sure that he is really looking forward to this opportunity, but one thing which we have realised over years is ‘make sure you give him the opportunity. Don’t expect miracles from game one. It is very important to show patience and belief in a player,” VVS Laxman concluded.