As the Indian Premier League 13 (IPL 2020) is about to start, Indian cricketers have started ruling the advertising time on the television channels. The Bollywood big-wigs have been pushed down or out as Virat Kohli (Royal Challengers Bangalore) & MS Dhoni (Chennai Super Kings) rules the roost in terms of Ad Volumes on the television.
According to TAM Media’s AdEx India data – mapping top 10 most visible celebrity endorsed ads, Kohli who is currently in UAE to lead RCB in IPL 2020 is consistently number 1 celebrity endorser on the television.
Dhoni endorses close to 30 brands including Oppo, Gulf Oil, Sunfeast, TVS and MasterCard.
IPL 2020 : Cricketers rule TAM ADEX Data, as Bollywood surrounded by controversy loses steam
The highlights of AdEx Report –
– Ad Volumes by Sports Stars up by 17% and drop by 30% for Bollywood Celebs
– Ad volumes per day for celebrity-endorsed ads grew 9% in August ’20 compared to the previous month.
– Celebrity Endorsed Ads dropped by 16% in July vis a vis last year
– In April-June, celebrity endorsed ads fell by 39% over the previous three month period of January-March ’20.
– Ad Volumes of Bollywood Stars drop by 30%
Why Bollywood Stars led seeing drop in advertising ?
Cricketers are currently dominating the Bollywood stars, the biggest reason being at the time of IPL 2020, their is nothing big than cricket and cricket stars. According to the industry experts, “brands are putting their bets on Cricketers as aided by IPL 2020, they will be highly visible during the months of Sep-Nov”.
Other reason, according to the experts is after Sushant Singh’s death, Bollywood is hounded with negative publicity and backlash from the fans. Very few brands want to ride on Bollywood Celebs during these times.
The experts further feel that cricket stars led ad volumes will further increase in the months of Sep, Oct because of IPL 2020.