Chennai Super Kings’ campaign in Indian Premier League 2020 has been nothing less than a nightmare for the three-time champions as they have been struggling to find their lost form, especially in the absence of Suresh Raina, who skipped the tournament due to some personal reasons.
However, CSK openers Faf du Plessis and Shane Watson put up an amazing show against Kings XI Punjab on Sunday to put the side’s campaign back on track.
Watson smashed unbeaten 83 off 53 balls, while Du Plessis scored unbeaten 87 off 53 balls, to help CSK register a thumping 10-wickets win over Punjab, who set a 179-runs target after they opted to bat first.
Both the openers looked in great touch from the very first ball of the chase and they anchored the innings with maturity.
While Watson’s innings consisted of 11 fours and 3 sixes, du Plessis’ innings was laced with 11 fours and a six.
Overall, the two batsmen hit 26 boundaries between them as CSK registered its first victory in four matches to revive its season.
In the process, Shane Watson and Faf Du Plessis recorded highest ever partnership for Chennai Super Kings in IPL history. It is also the ninth-highest stand in the IPL for any wicket.
Interestingly, it is also the second-highest chase in the IPL history without losing a wicket.
Highest opening partnerships for CSK in IPL:
- 181*S Watson – F du Plessis v KXIP Dubai 2020
- 159 M Hussey – M Vijay v RCB Chennai 2011
- 139*M Hussey – M Vijay v KXIP Mohali 2013
- 134 S Watson – A Rayudu v SRH Pune 2018
Also, both the batsmen provided the side with the best PowerPlay start in the ongoing season as they scored 60 runs in the opening six overs, bettering the previous record of 53/0 set by Watson and Murali Vijay against Rajasthan Royals.
Watson and Faf register these feats during their unbeaten partnership:
- Shane Watson registered his 20th career IPL fifty. Watson scored his sixth fifty for CSK in the tournament.
- The former Australian all-rounder went past the 400-run mark against KXIP and also registered his third fifty against the Punjab-based franchise.
- Faf du Plessis went past the 2,100-run mark in the IPL.
- The South African scored his 15th career IPL fifty.
- It was also his 13th fifty for CSK.
Notably, Watson and du Plessis were batting together for only the second time this season after Vijay was dropped for CSK’s last game against Sunrisers Hyderabad.
Meanwhile, the victory saw CSK move to sixth position, while KXIP slipped to the bottom place in the points table.