Kolkata Knight Riders on Monday decided to bench their star all-rounder Sunil Narine for the IPL 2020 game against Royal Challengers Bangalore. Notably, the decision came after the Windies player was reported for a suspect action by the match officials after KKR’s match against Kings XI Punjab held on Saturday in Abu Dhabi.
Moreover, KKR skipper Dinesh Karthik has hinted that the team might refrain from playing Narine until his action is approved by the BCCI Suspect Bowling Action Committee.
Notably, KKR and Sunil Narine expressed surprise at the development as the latter had already played six games in the tournament with no concern.
“This came as a surprise to the franchise and Narine, considering he has played over 115 games in the IPL since 2012 and as many as 68 games since 2015, when he was last reported during the IPL season for a suspect action before being subsequently cleared completely by SRASSC, an ICC accredited facility. Furthermore, he was playing his 6th game this season, with no concerns expressed formally or informally by the match officials so far,” KKR said in a statement.
History repeats itself!
Interestingly, this is not the first time that Narine has been reported for a suspect action. A similar incident took place in Champions League 2014 when umpires reported his action suspect twice due to which he was barred from bowling in CLT20 final. It is understood Narine was delivering the off-break with a flex in his elbow.
He also missed the 2015 World Cup to work on his action only to be reported again in the IPL in the same year. He was eventually suspended by the ICC in November that year. But he was cleared to bowl in all formats in 2016 after undergoing corrective measures.
Sunil’s action was also reported during the 2018 Pakistan Super League but was cleared eventually.
Now the question is, will KKR play Narine until his action is cleared by the BCCI Suspect Bowling Action Committee?
It should be noted that Sunil Narine has been placed in the warning list and one more reporting of his action by the on-field umpires could lead to him being barred from bowling in the ongoing IPL 2020.
Given the situation, KKR will avoid taking any risk and bench the 32-year old until his action is reviewed and there’s an appropriate resolution.
Talking about the same, KKR skipper Karthik said that his team has made its stance clear in a statement released before the RCB game on Monday.
Here’s what KKR said in a statement:
“We are respectful of the process that the IPL has put in place to have his action reviewed, and are working closely with the IPL in this matter. We are hopeful that there would be an appropriate resolution quickly. We appreciate the cooperation being extended by the IPL in expediting this matter.”