Two most successful teams in Indian Premier League (IPL 2020) – Mumbai Indians (MI) and Chennai Super Kings (CSK) are set to lock horns with each other in the opening game of IPL 2020 in UAE on September 19.
It’s no ordinary clash as the stakes are always high during MI vs CSK and its the rivalry between the two teams which makes the contest more interesting.
Ahead of the mouthwatering clash, let’s take a look at some lesser-known facts about these two marquee teams of the league who have 7 IPL titles among themselves.
Interesting IPL facts about MUMBAI INDIANS:
- Mumbai Indians is the most expensive team of Indian Premier League. Reliance group bought the franchise for Rs 8,261,299,200 making MI the most expensive team. Nita Ambani, who is the wife of Mukesh Ambani, is the owner of Mumbai-based franchise.
- The Mumbai Indians were the most watched team on television in the first and second season of the IPL, totalling to 239 million viewers.
- Many people are aware of the fact that Mumbai Indians have been the most successful franchise in IPL having clinched four titles – 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2019. However, not many are aware of the fact that MI have also won the now-defunct Champions League Twenty20 once in 2011.
- Kolkata Knight Riders are the favourite opponents of MI as they have the best win percentage (For teams against whom MI has played 10 or more matches) against the Kolkata-based franchise- 76 percent – with 19 wins from 25 matches and six losses.
- Sunrisers Hyderabad is the only team against which Mumbai have had more losses than wins (For teams against whom MI has played 10 or more matches). The Rohit Sharma-led team has lost 7 out of the 14 matches and won six (Win percentage of 46.42) with one ending in a tie which was won by MI in the Super Over.
- Mumbai Indians have been lucky when it comes to Super Over as they are one of only three teams (others are KXIP and RR) who have won all their Super-Over matches. They have won two out of two.
- MI are the only team in the history of the cash-rich league to have bagged 1000-plus wickets (1035).
- Mumbai Indians have bowled maximum number of maidens (34) in the tournament.
MI also have an unwanted record to their name as they are the only team to have bowled 100-plus no-balls (104) in the tournament so far.
- There have been four five-wicket hauls recorded in the Mumbai Indians jersey so far – the most among all the teams.
- According to IPL rules only 4 foreign players can play in a team but during IPL 2011 Mumbai Indians have fielded 5 foreign players because most of the Indian players were injured.
- Mumbai Indians’ highest team total remains 223/6 against KXIP at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. Chasing 231, they fell tantalisingly short by 7 runs in 2017.
- Mumbai hold the record of largest victory in terms of runs in IPL history. as they defeated Delhi Daredevils by 146 runs during IPL 2018. After amassing 212/3, they bundled out Delhi for mere 66 at the Arun Jaitley Stadium.
Individual records by MI player(s):
- Mumbai Indians skipper Rohit Sharma has scored 1733 runs in 61 innings at an average of 34.66 in IPL at Wankhede Stadium – the most by a MI player at any venue in IPL.
Rohit also has the third most match appearances (188) in IPL history.
- MI pacer Lasith Malinga holds the record of sending a batsman back to pavilion on duck for maximum number of times (33).
- Malinga is also the highest wicket-taker in the IPL with 170 wickets from 122 matches at an average of 19.80. He has bagged one five-wicket haul and six four-wicket hauls, the most by any bowler in the league
Mumbai Indians Record in UAE:
- The last time IPL took place in UAE, MI struggled to adapt and lost all the five matches of that leg in 2014.
All you want to know about CHENNAI SUPER KINGS interesting facts
- CSK is the first team to win all home matches in a single IPL season – 2011.
- Chennai have the most appearances (8) in an IPL final. They went on to win three of those.
- CSK is the only team to make it to playoffs every season.
- CSK is the only team to retain IPL title – 2011.
- Chennai Super Kings have the highest win percentage in IPL history. In 165 matches in the IPL, CSK has won 100 games to go along with their win percentage of 61.28.
- Chennai Super Kings’ bowling average of 26.22 in IPL is the best among all the team.
- Unlike Mumbai Indians, CSK love to play against Sunrisers Hyderabad as they have a win percentage of 75% against SRH (For teams against whom CSK have played 10 or more matches). CSK have won 9 of their 12 matches played with just three losses.
- CSK is the only team to have the same skipper (MS Dhoni) since the inception of IPL in 2008.
- CSK have won the most number of fair play awards (6).
- CSK have the record of defending lowest score by any team in the IPL. After they were bundled out for 116 against Kings XI Punjab in IPL 2009, CSK restricted Punjab to 92/8 to win the game by 24 runs at Kingsmead Durban.
Individual records by CSK player(s):
- CSK skipper MS Dhoni is the first captain to win 100 matches in IPL.
- Murali Vijay is the only batsman to have scored two centuries for CSK. His first century for
Chennai Super Kings was in IPL 2010 where he scored 127 runs off 56 balls against the Rajasthan Royals. Murali scored his second century for CSK in IPL 2012 when he smashed 113 off just 59 balls against Delhi Daredevils (now Delhi Capitals).
- CSK pacer Dwayne Bravo holds the record for most wickets picked in a single edition of the IPL as in IPL 2013, Bravo bagged 32 wickets at an average of 15.53.
- CSK batsman Suresh Raina holds the record for most consecutive appearances for the same IPL franchise. Since 2008, Raina featured in straight 134 IPL matches for CSK before he missed a game against Kings XI Punjab in IPL 2018.
- Interestingly, Raina has also made most appearances in IPL history with 192 appearances to his name.
- Raina is also the highest run-getter for Chennai Super Kings and second-highest overall. For CSK, he’s scored 4527 runs from 160 inns at 33.28 and a strike rate of 137.34. Along the way, he has hit 32 fifties and one century.
- Overall, Raina is only one of two batsmen who has aggregated more than 5000 runs, scoring 5386 runs at 33.34. He is second behind RCB skipper Virat Kohli who’s scored 5412 runs.
CSK’s Record in UAE:
- In 2014, CSK suffered a thumping six-wicket loss against KXIP but then bounced back and won four of their five matches of the UAE leg.
MI vs CSK rivalry:
- MI and CSK are the only two teams to have won 100-plus IPL matches.
- MI is the only team that have more wins than losses against CSK.
- Despite being the most consistent team in IPL, CSK have struggled against MI, with a loss percentage of 60.71. They have lost 17 of their 28 matches and won 11.