IPL 2020 Playoffs, Qualifiers, Eliminator explained: Sunrisers Hyderabad on Tuesday thrashed Mumbai Indians by 10 wickets to confirm their playoffs berth in the Indian Premier League 2020. Chasing a modest 150-run target, SRH rode on David Warner’s 85* and Wriddhiman Saha’s 58* to cross the finishing line in just 17.1 overs.
Meanwhile, with this result, Kolkata Knight Riders have exited from the 13th edition of the league and all the four spots of the playoffs have been confirmed with MI, DC, SRH and RCB finishing in the top four of the IPL 2020 points table after completion of the group stage.
IPL 2020 Points Table
|Indian Premier League||P||W||L||D||NRR||Pts|
|4||Royal Challengers Bangalore||14||7||7||0||-0.172||14|
|5||Kolkata Knight Riders||14||7||7||0||-0.214||14|
|6||Kings XI Punjab||14||6||8||0||-0.162||12|
|7||Chennai Super Kings||14||6||8||0||-0.455||12|
IPL 2020: How the IPL playoffs, eliminator and qualifiers will work?
Qualifier 1: Top two teams in the points table, which are, Mumbai Indians and Delhi Capitals will contest the first qualifier and the winner of the game will qualify for IPL 2020 finals, while the loser will get another chance to make it to the summit clash by winning the Qualifier 2.
Eliminator: Third and fourth team in the points tally, which are Sunrisers Hyderabad and Royal Challengers Bangalore will lock horns and the winner will advance to Qualifier 2, while the losing team will be eliminated from IPL 2020, hence it will be a do or die match for SRH and RCB.
Qualifier 2: Loser of Qualifier 1 and winner of Eliminator will contest the Qualifier 2. Winner will make it to the IPL 2020 finals and the losing team will exit the show.
IPL 2020 Finals: Winner of Qualifier 1 vs Winner of Qualifier 2 will contest the IPL 2020 finals on November 10.
All you need to know about Qualifier 1 between Mumbai Indians & Delhi Capitals:
Date: 5th November 2020
Time: 7:30 PM IST
Venue: Dubai International Stadium
|Played||MI Won||DC Won||Tie||No Result|
- Mumbai Indians, who are defending their title, have won four IPL titles (2013, 2015, 2017, 2019) which is the most by any team in the cash-rich league.
- Delhi Capitals are one of the three franchises who have never won the Indian Premier League title. The other teams who have never laid their hands on the coveted trophy are Royal Challengers Bangalore and Kings XI Punjab.
- MI and DC locked horns twice in the IPL 2020 group stage and both the times Mumbai outplayed Delhi.
- MI have played five IPL finals till date.
- DC have qualified for the playoffs stage for four times (2008, 2009, 2019, 2020) but they have never appeared in IPL final.
All you need to know about Eliminator between Sunrisers Hyderabad & Royal Challengers Bangalore:
Date: 6th November 2020
Time: 7:30 PM IST
Venue: Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi
|Played||Won by SRH||Won by RCB||Tie||No Result|
- SRH won their maiden IPL title in the 2016 season, defeating RCB by 8 runs in the final.
The Sunrisers have qualified for the play-off stage of the tournament in every season since 2016.
- In 2018, SRH reached the finals of the Indian Premier League, but lost to Chennai Super Kings.
- The Royal Challengers have never won the IPL but finished runners-up on three occasions between 2009 and 2016.
- RCB hold the records of both the highest and the lowest totals in the IPL – 263/5 and 49 respectively.