IPL 2021, CSK vs RR – MS Dhoni struggling with bat: Chennai Super Kings captain MS Dhoni’s decision to bat at a lower position in the IPL has puzzled not only his opponents but almost all experts are questioning his strategy. Once again, against Rajasthan Royals, Dhoni came to bat at No. 7. Ravindra Jadeja and Ambati Rayudu all batted ahead of Chennai Super Kings captain. Even when he came, his 17-ball stay at the wicket was nothing less than a struggle. Seeing him bat, one needs to ask is one of the world’s most attacking batsman struggling with his batting skill?
– Dhoni scored 18 off 17 balls with a strike rate of 105.88. Mind it, he was batting between 14th and 18th over where run per ball strike ball is considered a crime
– He was literally struggling with his timing
– Putting bat to the ball was a huge struggle for Dhoni
– Dhoni was clearly short of confidence, short of any time in the middle
– The four overs that he lasted, CSK scored only 22 runs between 13.5 and 17.1 overs.
– Not only CSK’s scoring rate dropped, but it also put pressure on the other batsman, Ravindra Jadeja, who had to go for big shots and could not get the timing, departing shortly after Dhoni on 8.
Clearly, Dhoni’s struggle with the bat is making him a liability for CSK than being an asset as he always has been throughout his career for the teams he has played for. It’s been very long since MS Dhoni ‘The Batsman’ delivered for Chennai Super Kings. Dhoni has crossed 30 only once in the last 10 games, doesn’t have a 50 in the last 19 matches, was out without scoring in the 1st match vs Delhi Capitals.
- Dhoni in his last 10 IPL games, has only once managed to cross the 30-run mark.
- Thrice has Dhoni walked back with a single-digit to his name.
- On seven occasions, Dhoni has failed to cross score above 20.
Even in IPL 2020, his poor form and a poor strike rate of 116.27 had cost the team dearly. In IPL 2020, he could just score 200 runs in 14 matches and hurt the franchise as they finished 7th in the 8-team tournament.
IPL 2021: Dhoni struggling with his batting and batting order, experts say ‘bat higher in the order’
Gautam Gambhir to MS Dhoni: Former India batsman Gautam Gambhir feels that Chennai Super Kings skipper MS Dhoni should bat at number four or five and not below that for his side. Dhoni generally has been coming to bat at No. 7.
Speaking on Star Sports show Cricket Live, Gambhir said, “MS Dhoni should be batting higher, that’s what matters because ultimately people should start leading from the front. We keep mentioning this thing that a leader needs to lead from the front. You can’t be leading, when you’re batting at No.7”
Gautam further added that Dhoni is not as attacking as he used to be and it is better for him to bat up in the order and set his eyes on the ball.
“Plus, he is not the MS Dhoni, which he used to be probably four or five years back, where he could just come in and start taking on the bowlers from the word go. For me, I think he needs to bat at number four/ five. Nothing below that,” Gambhir said.