IPL 2021 Suspended: When will be the remaining IPL season completed, is there a window available, check all you want to know about when & how remaining IPL season will be played? – IPL 2021 is suspended due to Covid-19. Now the big question in front of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is when will be the remaining IPL 2021 season be completed. While there are no immediate answers, but according to IPL Governing Council Chairman Brijesh Patel, BCCI can explore the September window to complete the remaining 31 matches of the 14th edition of IPL.
“Now we have to look for a window. If we get one, we will explore holding it. We’ll have to see if it is possible in September. We need to examine the plans of the ICC and other boards,” he told Cricbuzz.
IPL 2021 Suspended by BCCI: Is the September window feasible?
BCCI on Tuesday had decided to suspend IPL midway after multiple Covid-19 cases were reported from within franchisees. India and global cricket boards have packed calendars going forward. The only option for BCCI would be window in September, but for that to happen they may have to cut some corners around the T20 World Cup in October.
Virat Kohli and Co will not be available until September 14, given their Test tour in England starting August 4. Given the current travel guidelines, a seven-day quarantine is mandatory after international travel. If the norms remain strict, the Indian red-ball squad will have to undergo week-long isolation before getting available for selection.
IPL 2021: Is it possible to resume IPL anytime this year?
- This is a sporting year. Starting early June, there’s little leeway for BCCI to fit in a month-long tournament in a small window. International players will be busy with their national duties. Furthermore, the ICC World Test Championship (WTC) final India and New Zealand is scheduled to be played in Southampton from June 18-22.
- July will be the Tokyo Olympic month. The quadrennial event will begin from July 23 to August 9 & Indian cricket team will be in UK for test series against England.
- In August and September, India plays England in four test series which ends on September 14.
- In October England will tour Pakistan for two T20Is.
- The same month, BCCI will host the T20 World Cup, with the final scheduled on November 15.
A window post-November 15 can be a possibility. However, according to reports, India will see the third wave of Covid-19 at the end of the year. Possibly, India might move the IPL 2021 to UAE to complete the season. Also India’s home season starts by that time – so it will be tough to squeeze in month long IPL in November or December.
IPL 2021: All Cricket fixtures starting from June
Ireland tour of Netherlands, 2021: Jun 04 – Jun 09
Sri Lanka tour of England, 2021: Jun 18 – Jul 04
ICC World Test Championship Final 2021: Jun 18 – Jun 22
Pakistan tour of England, 2021: Jul 08 – Jul 20
South Africa tour of Ireland, 2021: Jul 11 – Jul 25
India tour of England, 2021: Aug 04 – Sep 14
Zimbabwe tour of Ireland, 2021: Aug 06 – Aug 20
England tour of Pakistan, 2021: Oct 14 – Oct 15
England tour of West Indies, 2022: Jan 28 – Mar 28