IPL 2021 Phase 2 – UAE Suspends All Flights from India: It has already been announced that the remaining matches of the Indian Premier League (IPL 2021) will be played between September 18th to October 15th in UAE. Along with the foreign players availability for the IPL 2021 Phase 2, BCCI now has another problem at their hand. UAE has prolonged its suspension of flight services from India to seven emirates till July 6. This means, no one from India can move to UAE till this period – resulting in few issues for both BCCI IPL staff and franchises.
The movement of passengers, excluding UAE nationals, diplomats, and holders of the UAE golden visa, to Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Umm al-Qaiwain, Fujairah, Ajman and Ra’s al-Khaimah—the seven emirates of UAE—from India has been suspended till July 6. Some of the IPL franchise officials who were trying to get into UAE to arrange for logistics for their teams have stalled their trips.
“We were planning to go to Dubai, Abu Dhabi in first week of July to arrange & finalize all hotel bookings and other logistic for our team. But now with the new order, we will be postponing our visit for few days”, informed one of the franchise official.
“General Authority of Civil Aviation, UAE, has suspended all inbound passenger movement to the UAE from India, (excluding UAE nationals) till 6th July 2021,” Air India Express, the low-cost carrier of the national carrier Air India, said in a tweet.
It is worth noting that the ban was initially imposed on April 25, after a surge in COVID-19 cases in India and later extended to June 30. The extension of the ban on the entry for travellers from India will also impact the organizers of IPL i.e BCCI. The Indian board was planning to send their team for recee and the same will be ‘postponed for few days’ according to the sources in BCCI.
IPL 2021 Phase 2 – No headwind, clarity on the availability of the foreign cricketers
The bigger issue bothering the board currently is the availability of the foreign players. The Indian board has approached almost all boards for support on release of the players – but is yet to get any major headwind. The top brass of BCCI is currently in Mumbai to take the final call on the T20 World Cup, IPL Dates and foreign players issue.
IPL 2021 Phase 2 – Status of the foreign players
– England & Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has completely disallowed participation of their players in IPL on account of their series against Bangladesh.
– Cricket West Indies is yet to respond to BCCI’s request to advance Caribbean Premier League by 7-10 days
– Cricket Australia is yet to make any formal announcement on releasing or disallowing their players for IPL 2021 Phase 2. Meanwhile almost all IPL players from Australia have already opted out of tours of West Indies and Bangladesh.
– New Zealand Cricket also hasn’t come out with any public statement on the issue. New Zealand is due to tour Pakistan during the IPL Window
– Bangladesh Cricket Board has also declared that both Shakib Al Hasan and Mustafizur Rahman will not be released for IPL 2021
– Cricket Sri Lanka is the only one which is ready to dance on BCCI’s tune – but unfortunately none of the Lankan player has a IPL Contract
IPL 2021 Phase 2: When finally the dates & schedule will be announced for IPL remaining matches?
IPL 2021 DATES & Schedule: The top brass of BCCI has already announced the window for the remaining 31 matches. According to BCCI Vice President Rajeev Shukla, ‘IPL 2021 will be completed between September 18th to October 15th’. The final date will only be announce once BCCI sorts the foreign player participation issue. The most important of all is the stand of Cricket West Indies (CWI). In case BCCI fails to get the support of CWI and get them to advance CPL 2021 by few days, the 9 top Caribbean cricketers will stay absent from first 10 days of Phase 2 and the same would not go down well with the IPL franchises.