ISL 2020-21: Kerala Blasters FC becomes most followed club on Instagram; Who are in the Top 5?- Kerala Blasters FC’s fortunes may have dwindled on the pitch with no titles in the Indian Super League but they are the most popular football club in India, at least on Instagram. Kerala Blasters became the first football club in India to cross 2-million mark on Instagram on Saturday (February 13) with support from not only in India but also outside the country.
Kerala with a rich football history has poured in love for Blasters over the last few years. Barring a few, they have had most stadium attendance until last season. This time with no spectators allowed inside the stadium, Blasters have garnered support digitally with most engagements on social media platforms.
“To know that we are the largest fan followed football club in the country, and one of the largest followed sports clubs in the country is a proud moment for us all. The Yellow Army has become a hallmark of this great club and we have gravely missed their support and presence this season. The brand KBFC has grown tremendously over the last 6 years and such milestones further underline the club’s commitment to growth commercially. The fundamentals and vision laid down for our club to remain strong and secure in all aspects of the football club.” Nikhil Bhardwaj, Director of Kerala Blasters FC, said in a statement.
Now, let’s find out who are in the top five across three major social media platforms — Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Kerala Blasters FC: Blasters lead with 2,004,541 followers on Instagram and are the most followed Indian football club on the platform.
- FC Goa: Goa with 318,000 followers on Instagram comes a distant second.
- Chennaiyin FC: With 306,000 followers, another southern Indian club is the third most followed football club from the country on Instagram.
- ATK Mohun Bagan: After ATK merged with Mohun Bagan, the shared fanbase has grown rapidly. With 253,000 followers on Instagram, it is the third most followed Indian club on the platform.
- Bengaluru FC: Bengaluru FC’s fanbase may not rival Kerala or ATK but they complete the Top-5 with 252,000 followers on Instagram.
- SC East Bengal: The Red & Golds take the crown of the most followed Indian football club on Facebook with 1.31 million followers.
- Kerala Blasters: With 1.17 million followers on Facebook, the rivalry is on.
- ATK Mohun Bagan: Again, the merged club is fighting for social media supremacy with 1.10 million followers on Facebook.
- Mumbai City FC: Mumbai City FC are the fourth most followed Indian football club on Facebook with 570,244 followers.
- Chennaiyin FC: With 464,195 followers, Chennaiyin are the fifth most followed Indian football club on Facebook.
- Kerala Blasters FC: Blasters are the only Indian football club to have over a million of followers on Twitter. With 1.8 million followers, they lead the platform by a mile.
- Chennaiyin FC: Southern neighbour Chennaiyin with 877,000 followers are second-most followed Indian football club on Twitter.
- ATK Mohun Bagan: The first Kolkata club to feature in the list is ATK Mohun Bagan. Again, the merger has helped them immensely to garner over 485,000 followers on Twitter, making them the third most-followed Indian football club on Twitter.
- NorthEast United FC: Northeastern states have a rich football history and make up a bulk of players in the Indian Super League. While they may not be as active on other social media platforms, but with 431,000 followers, they are the fourth most followed Indian football club on Twitter.
- FC Goa: Goans are slowly catching up on all platforms. With 342,000 followers, they complete the Top-5 most followed Indian football clubs on Twitter.