Joe Root Big Record – Most Test Wins Record: Root becomes England’s most successful test captain: It is indeed a victory to savour for Joe Root led side which has come with a string of elusive records under England skipper Joe Roots belt. After defeating India by an innings and 76 runs at Headingley, Leeds Test, Joe Root has become the English captain with most Test wins.
By handing England the 27th win in the 55 Tests, Joe Root has surpassed former player Michael Vaughan’s record. Vaughan, who registered 26 wins in 51 Tests as the England captain, sits second on the list now. Alastair Cook is on third with 24 victories in 59 matches.
Most wins as England captain
- 27 Joe Root (55 Tests)
- 26 Michael Vaughan (51)
- 24 Andrew Strauss (50)
- 24 Alastair Cook (59)
- 20 Peter May (41)
Joe Root Big Record – Most Test Wins Record: While England bowlers had played a major role in the match- bundling India to just 78 in the first innings and then piling up almost the entire Indian unit on Day 4, Joe Root’s hundred gave crucial thrust to the hosts. His close to 150 run partnership with David Malan gave Three Lions a huge boost in putting up runs on the board.
Root broke a plethora of other records with his 121 run knock during England’s innings.
- Joe Root becomes the first batsman to score more than 1,350 runs in a calendar year in Tests thrice.
- He has entered the list of most runs against India in Tests (2247*). Root currently stands fourth in the list which is currently topped by Ricky Ponting having 2555 Test runs against India.
- This was Joe Root’s third-fastest Test match hundred (125 balls). His 118 ball hundred against Australia in 2015 still remains number one.
- He has become the sixth batsman to hit 4 Test Centuries against India in a Calendar Year.
- Root has become the seventh player to score hundreds in 1st, 2nd and 3rd match of a Test series against India.
- Root holds the record of most Test hundreds against India-8, equaling Steve Smith, Viv Richards and Gary Sobers.
- Root has become the England captain to hit most Test 100s. With now 12 in this record, he equals Alastair Cook.
- Root has hit most Test centuries in a calendar year for England- 6, equalling his record with Denis Compton and Michael Vaughan.
Joe Root Big Record – Most Test Wins Record: The win was imperative for England to gain some confidence after the Lord’s defeat and keep their chances alive in the series. With now the Tests series standing equal 1-1, the action will move to Kennington Oval, London for the fourth Test starting on September 2.
For all updates on cricket and other sports, follow insidesport.co