‘Jofra Archer’s breach could have costed ECB millions of pounds’, says Ashley Giles

The England & Wales Cricket Board (ECB) is fuming with Jofra Archer’s action. They have just averted a ‘disaster’ caused by England’s fast bowled Jofra Archer’s breach of the bio-secure protocols, according to ECB’s Director of Cricket Ashley Giles.

In an interview to BBC Sport, Giles has admitted that Jofra’s action could have costed ECB millions of pounds from the broadcasters.

“The ripple effect it could have had could have cost us tens of millions of pounds,” said Giles. “The potential knock-on effect of this, I don’t think he could have fully understood.

Also Read: Will the West Indies bowlers make a comeback or will Stokes – Sibley heroics…

“We made it very clear what the protocols mean, but maybe he didn’t quite understand what the consequences could be.”

England vs West Indies 2nd Test : How Jofra Archer’s action could have costed ECB Millions of pounds ?

In these Covid19 times when the entire cricket world is currently shut. ECB has spent millions to create bio-bubble so that the international cricket can resume. The coronavirus pandemic has forced England to hold the three-Test series against West Indies, and subsequent tours by Ireland, Pakistan and possibly Australia in secure locations at the Ageas Bowl and Emirates Old Trafford. All the games are being played without crowds and with players and staff following tough protocols.

Through these plans ECB is somehow managing to deliver promised cricket to the broadcast partners. In turn Sky Sports will pay to ECB the contracted media rights fee which as per the information available with InsideSport is in excess of $200Mn for the entire English summer this year.

Any setback to these plans would have potentially cost the ECB vast sums in broadcasting revenue. That is the reason without any delay ECB decide to withdraw Archer from the squad as soon as he disobeyed the protocols set by ECB.

He will now have to serve a five-day period of isolation and return two negative coronavirus tests before he can rejoin the England squad.

Why exactly Jofra Archer went to home ? Report claims he went home to visit his girlfriend

Giles said Archer was not at home for a “particularly long period of time” and that he visited someone who has since returned a negative coronavirus test.

On Wednesday evening, Archer told one of the members of the England management team that he went home, and he was subsequently removed from a 13-man squad announced earlier that day.

According to reports, unlike other England players, who made the journey directly from Southampton, where they were beaten in the first Test at the Ageas Bowl, the 25-year-old fast bowler did not drive directly to the hotel near the Old Trafford ground in Manchester for the start of the second match on Thursday morning.

Instead, on Monday, he went in a completely different direction to his home in Hove, Sussex, thereby breaking the rules the ECB had set to try and reduce the chances of the coronavirus infection being brought into the dressing room.

According to an “exclusive” report in the Mail, Archer was “sensationally” left out of the second Test “after breaking coronavirus protocols by making an unauthorised detour to visit his home. It is thought Archer made the trip home to see his girlfriend, leaving England officials ‘fuming’ at his actions. Archer’s detour was discovered because he was wearing a tracker (mobile phone).”

Since than Archer has apologized. And as Giles said, the disaster for now is averted.

Advertisement