LPL 2020 : Lankan Premier League draft falls flat, Russell, Du Plessis and 3 other big players pull out

The inaugural Lankan Premier League (LPL) is in trouble once again. After multiple postponements, LPL 2020 draft took place last week. The organizers of the league flashed names of Andre Russell, Faf Du Plessis, David Miller, Dawid Malan. These players were picked by the franchises as well. But within 5 days of the said announcement, now many players have pulled out of the event. 
 
Andre Russell, Du Plessis, Miller all have decided to pull out from the event. According to reports Miller, du Plessis and Malan have become unavailable because of the limited-overs series between South Africa and England, set to begin on November 27. Russell, meanwhile, has pulled out due to injury.
In an interview to ESPN Cricinfo, SLC has confirmed the development. “The franchises that had these players will have to negotiate with other players to take their place,” LPL director Ravin Wickramaratne told the website. According to Sri Lanka Cricket. Manvinder Bisla the fifth player to exit the tournament, is not believed to have provided a reason though. The LPL is scheduled to start on November 21 and run until December 13.
LPL 2020 : Withdrawals big blow to Lankan Premier League

While these withdrawals are a significant blow to the tournament, they are not a death knell just yet. The hardest hit franchise is the Colombo Kings, who had all three of Russell, du Plessis and Bisla on their roster. The Jaffna Stallions had Malan.

With less than four weeks to go until the scheduled start of the LPL, there are still substantial logistical hurdles to surmount before the tournament can get off the ground. A major sticking point remains the quarantine – Sri Lanka’s health ministry has insisted it must be 14 days of confinement in a hotel room, which some players have expressed dissatisfaction with.

Sri Lanka Cricket is still confident that tournament will go ahead.