NBA Schedule 2020-21: After several meetings between the NBA and the NBPA, it was announced on the 9th of November that the NBA 2020-21 season will have its opening night on the 22nd of December. The NBA season will have a preseason that will start on the 11th of Nov.
There were several factors that promoted a pre-Christmas start to the new season. Starting the season before Christmas was the NBA’s way of keeping their broadcasters – ESPN and Turner happy.
This will help Turner broadcast the opening fixture on a Tuesday and ESPN to display 5 matches on Christmas.
Although the LA Lakers and Miami Heat will have the shortest offseason, the players understand that it is best for business. A delay in start would have cost the NBA $500 million.
Format of the fixtures for the 2020-21 NBA season:
- All five teams from within a division will play all five teams from one other intraconference division twice at home, and all five teams from the remaining intraconference division twice on the road.
- Each team will play two games against each interconference opponent (30 total games per team), with each pairing featuring one home game and one road game.
- The 2020-21 regular-season schedule will be released in two segments. The schedule for the First Half of the season will be released around the start of training camp.
- The Second Half schedule will include the remainder of each team’s 72 games not scheduled in the First Half as well as any games postponed during the First Half that can reasonably be added to the Second Half schedule.
NBA Schedule 2020-21: All you need to know about the NBA 2020-21 season:
A new Play-In tournament has been introduced to determine the 7th and 8th seeds from each conference who will make the playoffs.
Each team will play 72 games, which is 10 less than a typical 82-game NBA season.
The Free Agency begins on the 20th of November and the teams will be able to sign players from the 22nd of November.
The cap is $109.14 million this past season, with the tax level at $132,627,000. In the following seasons of the CBA, the salary cap and tax level will increase by a minimum of 3% and a maximum of 10% over the prior season.
In the event player compensation were to exceed the players’ designated share in any season, necessary salary reductions beyond the standard 10% escrow would be spread in the coming seasons, subject to a maximum salary cut in any season of 20%.
The NBA did say that the fans might be allowed at a 25-50% capacity after ensuring all the safety protocols. Nothing has been official yet.
NBA Schedule 2020-21: The tentative NBA schedule calendar for the 2020-21 season:
• Dec. 11-19, 2020: Preseason games
• Dec. 22, 2020 – March 4, 2021: First Half of regular season
• March 5-10, 2021: All-Star break
• March 11 – May 16, 2021: Second Half of regular season
• May 18-21, 2021: Play-In Tournament
• May 22 – July 22, 2021: 2021 NBA Playoffs