No change in equal TV revenue distribution for PL clubs: Report

No change in equal TV revenue distribution for PL clubs: Report
Advertisement

The Premier League clubs will continue to distribute equally the overseas television rights revenue share.

In a big blow to the six richest Premiere League clubs- Manchester City, Manchester United, Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea – the proposal to change the way money from overseas broadcasting deals is distributed has been discarded by the Premier League.

The clubs had appealed against the equal distribution of overseas television money and wanted it to be reflected as per their position in the league table.

The new proposal would have seen 35 per cent of the international TV revenue allocated according to a club’s final position in the table, with the remaining 65 per cent distributed equally between all clubs.

However, a meeting set for Wednesday to deliberate on the matter was called off as no decision was close.

“It has become clear that there is currently no consensus for change, meaning tomorrow’s club meeting is not necessary,” the Premier League has been reported as saying.

At the first meeting between the 20 Premier League teams on 4 October, it had become clear that the plan – presented by the league’s executive chairman Richard Scudamore – was significantly short of gaining the support of the 14 clubs needed for it to be passed. The issue has been simmering for years and the smaller clubs fear that ending equal payments could lead to greater inequality down the line.

But contracts for international markets such as China and the United States for the period between 2019 and 2022 have risen significantly in value, and the big six clubs wanted to secure a greater share.

According to the league’s figures, $931 m was split evenly among the clubs last season while the remaining $1,076 m was handed out in facility fees, which takes into account how many times a team is shown live on television while merit payments reward a club’s final position in the league. Champions Chelsea had received nearly $199 m while bottom club Sunderland took just over $122.76 m.


LEAVE A REPLY