La Liga chief Javier Tebas has reportedly emerged as a strong contender for the role of the Premier League Chief Executive. The 56-year-old, who is running Spanish top flight La Liga since 2013, has apparently been identified as a potential successor to Richard Scudamore to run the most prestigious football league in England.
According to reports in a section of British media, Welcome to Yorkshire tourism agency chief executive Sir Gary Verity is engaged in talks with recruiters after an initial shortlist has been scrapped.
Tebas is the third big name being considered for the job after talks have failed with two leading television professionals –Discovery’s Susanna Dinnage and the BBC’s Tim Davie.
Tebas was instrumental in securing the “controversial” deal last year for staging several Spanish top division games in the USA. He is having an outstanding stint with La Liga. He had declined an Italian Serie A offer last year.
Meanwhile, La Liga has said that it does not expect President Javier Tebas to leave his present role to join the Premier League. “We are not aware of this supposed interest. That said, if a competition as important as the Premier League is taking note of the work being done by La Liga, including its president, clubs and employees, it is a source of pride for the entire organisation,” a La Liga spokesman said on Wednesday in response to reports in British media
“Javier (Tebas) has a contract with La Liga and not only is he happy here, he also has responsibilities and challenges which occupy his full attention. This includes the changing broadcast landscape and battling the threat of new competitions – including format changes that put domestic leagues at risk.”