Sri Lanka Cricket reduces bans for Danushka Gunathilaka and Kusal Mendis to 1 year for breaching bio-bubble in UK: Sri Lanka Cricket on Friday banned senior players Kusal Mendis, Niroshan Dickwella and Danushka Gunathilaka for one year and also imposed a fine of 10 million Sri Lankan rupees on them for breaching COVID-19 protocols on the tour of UK last month.
Sri Lanka Cricket recommends two-year bans for Danushka Gunathilaka and Kusal Mendis for breaching bio-bubble in UK
Consequent to the recommendations made by the Independent Panel of Inquiry appointed by Sri Lanka Cricket, Under allegations of;
1. Breaching Covid-19 safety guidelines, instructions & regulations of the team Management and by the said act putting into jeopardy the safety of said players, fellow team members and others involved in the said tour, and;
2. Violating the instructions & regulations of the team Management with regard to the team curfew by failing to be at the hotel room by 10.30 p.m.,
3. By such actions, bringing disrepute to Sri Lanka Cricket and the Country
The Executive Committee of Sri Lanka Cricket at its meeting held today(30/07/2021) has given due consideration to the recommendations of the Panel of Inquiry, and in further consideration of the impact to the individual players, and their contribution to the national team, have decided unanimously to impose the following punitary measures on the said three players:
1. A fine of Sri Lanka Rupees 10 Million for each player.
2. A One year Ban from all forms of International Cricket and a Six months ban from Domestic Cricket.
3. Upon completion of the said one-year Ban, each player will be subjected to a further ban of one year from playing international Cricket which will be suspended for a period of two years.
4. Mandatory Counselling under a Doctor recommended by the SLC.
Last month, Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) suspended Niroshan Dickwella, Kusal Mendis, and Danushka Gunathilaka for breaching the bio-bubble in the UK.
The cricketers first came under the scanner after a video emerged on social media showing them out in a public space in Durham. The trio admitted to breaching the team’s bio-secure environment and will now fly home immediately from England.
Sri Lanka Cricket reduces bans for Danushka Gunathilaka and Kusal Mendis to 1 year for breaching bio-bubble in UK
for more sports news and updates, follow us at insidesport.co