Indian star footballer Sunil Chhetri has been adjudged the 2017 AIFF Player of the year by the national governing body of football, All India Football Federation. The list of award winners for the previous year was announced at the recently concluded Executive Committee meeting in Mumbai.
The Bengaluru FC striker recently became the second Indian footballer to play 100 international games after legendary footballer Bhaichung Bhutia. The 33-year skipper old recently led the Men in Blue to the inaugural title of Hero Intercontinental Cup held last month.
Kamala Devi, on the other hand, was named the 2017 AIFF Women footballer of the year.
Young Anirudh Thapa, who took the Indian football by storm with his splendid performance in the Intercontinental cup was announced as 2017 AIFF Emerging player of the year. E Panthoi was named as the 2017 AIFF women Emerging player of the year.
AIFF, in its official statement, as released the full list of the 2017 Awards:
– 2017 AIFF Award for Best Grassroots Development Programme: Kerala FA.
– 2017 AIFF Award for long-time contribution to Indian Football: Hero Motocorp.
– 2017 AIFF Award for Best Assistant Referee: Mr. Sumanta Datta (Assam).
– 2017 AIFF Award for Best Referee: Mr. CR Srikrishna.
– 2017 AIFF Emerging Woman Footballer of the Year: Ms. E Panthoi.
– 2017 AIFF Emerging Player of the Year: Mr. Anirudh Thapa.
– 2017 AIFF Woman Footballer of the Year: Ms. Kamala Devi.
– 2017 AIFF Player of the Year: Mr. Sunil Chhetri.