As the curtain raises on the 10th edition of the Indian Premier League, there are plenty to cherish from the archives. There rare moments the define the IPL best. There are occasions that took the battle between the ball and the willow to redefine the game
1 . Brendon McCullum’s stunning 73-ball 158 in the tournament opener between Kolkata Knight Riders and Royal Challengers Bangalore in 2008.
2. Pakistan seamer Sohail Tanvir’s 6 for Rajasthan Royals against the batting heavy Chennai Super Kings, A record breaking bowling performance which helped Sohail Tanvir claim the first Purple Cap ( 22 wkts, 11 matches, avg 6.46) of the IPL in 2008. The only time Pak players appeared in IPL.
3. Chris Gayle’ 175* ( 66 balls, 13 x 4, 17x 6) in 2013 that powered his team Royal Challengers Bangalore to 263/5, the highest ever total in Bengaluru.
4. 973 ( 4x100s, 7×50 in 16 innings) runs by RCB skipper Virat Kohli in 2016 – the maximum runs in an IPL season.
5. 229-run 2nd wicket stand between Kohli and AB de Villiers for RCB. Highest partnership for any wicket in IPL. In Bengaluru on 14 May, 2016, both Kohli (109 off 55, 5×4, 8×6) and De Villiers (129 not out off 51, 10×4, 12×6) hit centuries against Gujarat Lions.
6. 32 scalps by Dwayne Bravo (CSK) in 2013. The most by any bowler in a single season.
7. 38-ball 100 (8 4s, 7 6s) by South African David Miller playing for Kings XI Punjab in IPL 2013. The knock against RCB helped KXIP score a scintillating 100 runs in five overs to hand RCB a defeat.
8. 122 off 58 balls by Virender Sehwag with 12 fours and 8 sixes for Kings XI Punjab in 2014 against Chennai Super Kings.
9. Sachin Tendulkar’s maiden T20 Century:- His hundred in the IPL against Kochi Tuskers Kerala in the 2011 IPL edition in Mumbai remains to be one of the best moments. He scored 100 runs of just 66 balls with 12 fours and 3 sixes.
10 .Glenn Maxwell Power: Maxwell set IPL abuzz with his unconventional style of play and exuberant shots in the 2014 edition. A 43-ball 95 against CSK, a 45-ball 89 versus Rajasthan Royals .