Thomas and Uber Cup all set to be cancelled, after Korea, Indonesia also withdraws

Indonesia becomes the fifth team to withdraw from the prestigious Thomas and Uber Cup badminton tournaments citing the concern over coronavirus.

Noticeably, Australia, Taiwan, Thailand and South Korea have already withdrawn from the tournament.
Indonesian badminton officials said on Saturday that they were concerned about players safety as they could contract COVID-19 during the tournament, that is scheduled to be held in Aarhus, Denmark from 3 -11 October.

“Everyone was excited because they saw such a big opportunity, but in the course of time and looking at the development of COVID-19 that had not been resolved, both in Indonesia and in other countries, it raised doubts among athletes,” a statement said.

Indonesia, who have won the Thomas Cup 13 times and Uber Cup three times, also confirmed that none of their players will participate in the Denmark Open and Denmark Masters that are scheduled to be held in October.

Earlier on Friday, South Korea joined a growing list of countries to withdraw from the upcoming Thomas Cup and Uber Cup badminton tournaments. The Badminton Korea Association said it has decided to withdraw its men’s and women’s teams from the two tournaments, according to local media reports.

India, meanwhile, announced its squads on Thursday after it was decided that a preparatory camp for the Thomas Cup and Uber Cups won’t be possible due to the COVID-19 quarantine guidelines.

The selected players have been asked to submit fitness certificates by September 17. They have been advised to train on their own and keep BAI updated on their regular fitness and training status.

“It has been learnt that owing to the unwillingness of some campers to undergo the quarantine period, the camp which was to start on September 7, could not begin,” said the Sports Authority of India.

The final date for declaring the teams for the tournaments is September 17.