In sharp contradiction to the International Olympic Committee and Japan Government claims that there were no plans to postpone or cancel the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games this summer, international news agency Reuters has made startling revelations. The agency, referring to sources, has claimed that the Tokyo 2020 has already started drafting alternate plans.
Two anonymous sources involved with the Games have reportedly told the agency that they had been asked to “make a simulation in case of a postponement”. They are now making alternate B, C and D plans with possibility of different time frames.
This development shatters the claims made by the IOC president Thomas Bach and Japan Premier Shinzo Abe that there are no plans to postpone the July 24-August 9 Tokyo 2020 claim.
Japan Government last Wednesday had stated that Games will go on as scheduled. Bach as late as on Saturday had told German radio station SWR that the Olympic cancellation or postponement was not on agenda. The IOC chief was rebutting the growing global clamour to postpone or call off the Tokyo Olympic Games.
The sources have further revealed that the alternate plans include proposal to defer the Games by one or two years. This, however, will be a severe blow for the veteran athletes who might have been aiming their last shot at the Olympics in Tokyo before calling it a day.
Other options also include a delay by 30-45 days if the global Coronavirus condition was brought under control.
However, it will not be easy to find a window for the Olympic Games as the international sports calendars are prepared years in advance with special considerations for the Olympic Games. Olympics won’t just need a two- to three-week windows for the Games, but also a host of qualifying and preparatory events which start months in advance.