Tokyo Olympics: Neeraj Chopra Unwell, too many felicitation functions takes it toll, family says ‘let him now rest’

Tokyo Olympics: Neeraj Chopra Unwell, too many felicitation functions takes it toll, family says ‘let him now rest'
Tokyo Olympics: Neeraj Chopra Unwell, too many felicitation functions takes it toll, family says ‘let him now rest'

Tokyo Olympics – Neeraj Chopra Unwell: India’s golden boy Neeraj Chopra & his family is now getting ’sick and very tired’ of felicitations & functions. Chopra got so unwell on Tuesday that he had to leave one of the event mid-way. The non-stop running around has taken complete toll on the champion according to his family. According to one of the family member, he has not been sleeping more than 2-3 hours and that has made his unwell.

A source close to the family told TOI, “He should be fine after a good rest. We left the function as a precautionary measure. Every other day there is one function or the other. Then, there have been so many interviews with different media channels. He hasn’t got a chance to rest. An athlete’s body also needs rest, especially after an event like the Olympics. He has put in so much of effort. There are some rumours that he has been taken to a hospital. It is not true. He is feeling exhausted after attending so many functions on his arrival from Tokyo.”

Also Read: Tokyo Olympics: Vinesh Phogat gets Neeraj Chopra’s support, says ‘I am standing by Vinesh in these difficult times’

Tokyo Olympics: Neeraj Chopra Unwell, too many felicitation functions takes it toll, family says ‘let him now rest’

Tokyo Olympics – Neeraj Chopra Unwell, what exactly happened? 

The ace javelin thrower had to be rushed to a healthcare facility due to exhaustion and fever as he came to attend a event closer to his native place in Panipat.

As per the Times of India, Neeraj Chopra complained of fever, dizziness and choked throat following a heat stroke as his body temperature went past the 100-degree Fahrenheit mark during a ceremony at his hometown. As per sources, the 23-year-old was administered a combination of paracetamol and electrolyte having been taken to a healthcare facility in the vicinity.

It is believed that Chopra felt uncomfortable reaching Haldana village near Samalkha. Normally a two-hour drive from Delhi to Panipat, the Tokyo Olympics gold medallist took six hours to return home, having attended a host of small functions along the way. As Chopra entered Haryana, crowds had gathered to catch a glimpse of the national hero, flouting the mandatory COVID-19 protocols and the 23-year-old himself was seen without a mask and made no effort to avoid the crowd.

Chopra first complained of uneasiness after reaching Khukhrana village, which is five kms away from Khandra. There he was honoured with a silver spear but left the ceremony midway having felt dizzy and complained of headache.

Neeraj Chopra Unwell but tests negative: Neeraj Chopra had a high fever last Friday and underwent an RT-PCR test which came out negative. While in the capital. Chopra was bogged down with felicitation ceremonies and countless media interactions which meant that he did not meet his family members and relatives in Khandra for more than a week after returning to the country. On Sunday, on the sidelines of the IOA’s function in Ashoka, Neeraj had said he was feeling exhausted and that he was looking for a few days of rest. He was forced to miss the Haryana government’s felicitation function in Panchkula on Friday.

Also Read: Tokyo Olympics: PM Narendra Modi meets India Olympic contingent, interacts with medal winners Neeraj Chopra, PV Sindhu

Neeraj Chopra’ frenetic few days since Tokyo Olympics glory 

August 9

  • Returned to India following Tokyo Olympics triumph, received a grand welcome by officials and fans at the airport.
  • Travelled straight from the airport to the felicitation ceremony hosted by the Union sports ministry at the Delhi’s Ashoka Hotel.

August 10

  • Chopra attended a felicitation function organised by the Athletics Federation of India (AFI) at the Taj Palace hotel.

August 11

  • Was diagnosed with high fever and missed the felicitation programme organised by the Punjab government in Chandigarh

August 12

  • Tested for Covid-19, which returned negative. Missed the function by the Haryana government in Panchkula.

August 14

  • Attended the ‘High Tea’ hosted by President Ram Nath Kovind for the Indian Olympic contingent at the Rashtrapati Bhawan.

August 15

  •  Attended the Independence Day function with the rest of the Olympic contingent at the Red Fort. The contingent assembled in Ashoka at 4 AM IST and left for Red Fort an hour later.
  • In the evening, Chopra attended the felicitation function organised by the Indian Olympic Association (IOA).

August 16

  • Attended the breakfast ‘meet and greet’ hosted by Prime Minister Narendra Modi for the Olympic contingent at his 7 Lok Kalyan Marg (LKM) residence.

August 17

  • Attended felicitation functions en route his six-hour drive from Delhi’s Ashoka Hotel to his hometown in Khandra village of Panipat. Developed a high fever after suffering a heat stroke, for which he was treated at a nearby medical facility.

Also read: Tokyo Paralympics 2020: पैरा एथलीट Devendra Jhajharia ने कहा- स्वर्ण पदक जीतकर Neeraj Chopra ने भाला फेंक को पहचान दिलाई, हम भी जीतेंगे गोल्ड