US Open 2021: Naomi Osaka storms into round 2 after straight sets win against Marie Bouzkova- Tennis superstar and winner of two US Open titles Naomi Osaka has begun her US Open campaign with a victory. She came from behind in the opening set to beat her rival Marie Bouzkova of the Czech Republic in straight sets 6-4, 6-1. The third seed fired 34 winners to set up a second-round clash with Olga Danilovic. The 23-year-old is the favorite to defend her title at the US Open. Luckily, she has received a good draw until her Quarterfinals at the US Open women’s singles.
— US Open Tennis (@usopen) August 31, 2021
Unseeded Bouzkova held her own through much of the first set but failed to convert on four break point opportunities against the Japanese four-time Grand Slam winner.
Osaka, who fired 21 winners but committed 13 unforced errors in the first set, broke Bouzkova’s serve at 5-4 to win the opener and never looked back, winning the first five games of the second despite struggling with her first serve.
“It feels kind of crazy to play in front of everyone again,” said Osaka. “Last year when we didn’t have a crowd I know it felt quite lonely for me.”
She said she felt at home at Arthur Ashe Stadium, where she won her first major title three years ago.
“I think it might be the court where I’ve played the most matches in my career,” said Osaka. “I’m just glad I won.”
US Open 2021 score: Naomi Osaka beats Marie Bouzkova
- 6-1 Naomi Osaka through to round 2 of US Open, beats Bouzkova in straight sets
- 1-5 to Marie Bouzkova, too late to stage a comeback. Can she raise her game?
- 5-0 Complete domination from Naomi Osaka, a game away from winning this contest.
- 4-0 to Osaka, Bouzkova is struggling with time running out in the second set.
- 3-0 to Naomi Osaka, She is leading all the way pushing Bouzkova to backfoot.
- 2-0 to Naomi Osaka, Marie Bouzkova has lost her touch in the second set. Osaka leading the way.
- 1-0 to Naomi Osaka, she continues to dominate as momentum shifts in her favour.
- 6-4 Naomi Osaka holds her nerve to win the opening set against Marie Bouzkova in an even contest.
- 5-4 Naomi Osaka takes an edge over her opponent, a game away from winning the opening set.
- 4-4 Marie Bouzkova keeps the pressure on Noami Osaka with equal scoreline
- 4-3 to Naomi Osaka, the see-sawing battle continues as the game is evenly poised at the Billie Jean court. What a way to start the top seed battle at US Open!
- 3-3 to Marie Bouzkova, now the Czech brings up her top-level tennis on display
- 3-2 to Naomi Osaka, she has now moved to her A-game to take lead in the opening set.
- 2-2 Bouzkova takes the second game in style.
- 2-1 to Naomi Osaka, the World No.2 looking in full flow at the Billie Jean court
- 1-1 to Marie Bouzkova, the Czech levels up against defending champion
- 1-0 to Naomi Osaka, The Japanese starts off from where she left at US Open last year.
- The players have begun their warmup on the court
- Naomi Osaka and Marie Bouzkova are making their way into the court.
- Naomi Osaka is ranked second in the world while Bouzkova is placed 86
- Osaka is the favourite to reach the finals of the US Open and is likely to win the opening battle in straight sets.
- Bouzkova has been struggling in the last few outings on the tennis court. On paper, she stands no chance to overcome Osaka
For more sports news and US Open 2021 updates, follow us at insidesport.co
(with Reuters inputs)