Wimbledon 2021: Former doubles champion Frederik Nielsen out of Wimbledon over Covid-19 contact: Former men’s doubles champion Frederik Nielsen was forced to withdraw from the upcoming Wimbledon after he became a COVID-19 suspect. The All England Club announced that he was identified as a close contact of a positive coronavirus case,
Former men’s doubles champion Frederik Nielsen was Saturday forced to withdraw from Wimbledon after being identified as a close contact of a positive coronavirus case, the All England Club announced.
“The referee’s office has advised that Frederik Nielsen has been withdrawn from the gentlemen’s doubles draw, having been classified as a close contact,” said a statement.
The 37-year-old Dane, who won the 2012 men’s doubles title with Britain’s Jonny Marray, had been due to partner Croatia’s Franko Skugor at Wimbledon which starts Monday.
He must now isolate for 10 days in line with British government legislation.
Wimbledon 2021: Can World No.1 Novak Djokovic grab another grand slam?
Meanwhile, gearing up for his 64th Grand Slam campaign, Novak Djokovic has had some practice at peaking at the right moments. This time will be no different, the World No. 1 told media, although the stakes are now higher than ever as he targets his record-tying 20th major title at Wimbledon.
Wimbledon 2021: The top seed opened up in his pre-tournament press conference about the mental and physical toll of winning two Grand Slams this year – especially at Roland Garros, where he doubled his win count to become the first man in the Open Era to win every Grand Slam title twice.
“The level of confidence is pretty high [after] winning the two majors this year, playing very well in Roland Garros,” Djokovic said. “That tournament took a lot out of me, mentally and physically and emotionally. It also granted me with an incredible amount of positive energy and confidence that created a wave that I’m trying to ride.”
Wimbledon 2021: To achieve the historic feat in Paris, Djokovic had to overcome huge tests including a comeback from two sets to love against Lorenzo Musetti in the fourth round. He passed possibly the biggest mental hurdle of all as he defeated Rafael Nadal, the 13-time winner and four-time defending champion, in the semi-finals. That’s before he pulled off another stunning comeback after being down two sets in the final to take down Stefanos Tsitsipas for his second Coupe des Mousquetaires.