PV Sindhu’s poor run of form after the BWF World Championship gold in Basel, Switzerland, during August has continued at the Korean Open as well.
World champion Sindhu crashed out of the Korea Open badminton tournament in Incheon after a three-game defeat in the first round; while B Sai Praneeth retired hurt in his men’s singles opener today (Wednesday).
Sindhu lost 7-21, 24-22, 15-21 to Beiwen Zhang of USA in a match that lasted 56 minutes while World Championship bronze-medallist Sai Praneeth was trailing 9-21 7-11 when he conceded the match to fifth-seeded Anders Antonsen of Denmark due to an unspecified injury.
After the high of winning the World Championships, Olympic silver-medallist Sindhu was knocked out of the China Open Super 1000 event by Thailand’s Pornpawee Chochuwong in the second round last week.
Interestingly, the 26-year-old former winner here had defeated Zhang en route her World Championships gold at Basel.
The Chinese-born American prevailed over the Indian twice last year at the India Open and Denmark Open.
Parupalli Kashyap was the lone Indian to survive in the singles event.
After Sindhu and Sai Praneeth, Saina Nehwal also made a first round exits. While Sindhu went down fighting, Saina like Sai Praneeth was forced out by an injury.
Saina’s husband and personal coach Kashyap said she retired because of gastroenteritis problem. “It seems she had a relapse of the gastroenteritis that bothered her early in the year. She was feeling dizzy and vomited yesterday. In fact, she went to the stadium straight from the hospital today,” he said.
“Still she could have won but when it went to three games, she didn’t have anything left in her tank. We need to check with the doctor when we go back. It has been a difficult year for her.”